Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a great microscope below 1um, please help.

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    Hello everyon,

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum but I thought it would work. I am trying to photograph carbon nanofibers with a microscope (I don't need it to be too fancy). I am in the range of 200-600 nm and I cannot measure them too well with the 40x lens on the University's microscope. I just need a camera/software to measure them with a suitable microscope as well. I am assuming anything in the 120x range would suffice. It would need a high powered light. The program we use at the University is Spot Basic and Spot Advanced. Anyone have any reccomendations? Thank you all for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Unless you're going for a very high end optical, I think you'll be limited in the resolving power of your microscope:

You're probably better off trying to find an SEM somewhere on your campus (try the biology or geoscience departments--if nothing, they might know who does have one, or where you can send samples to)
  4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    We do have one on campus but I am not allowed to use it due to me no longer being a student here but working on campus for a private company. I will see if I can gain access to it because the assistant director of polymer engineering knows I'm a respectful and knowledgeable person. I was just looking at my options to buy through my company in the 3-5k range, or cheaper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook