Looking for a long life burner

• Thread starter kateman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discussed different ways to spread the smell of lemon myrtle throughout the house. The ideas included making incense candles or extracting the oil to use in homemade candles or incense. It was suggested to not dry the leaves first as it would reduce the essential oils, and instead extract them fresh using Everclear or steam distillation. Other suggestions included adding the wax to the pot and heating it with a sachet of fresh leaves or using a small candle under a ceramic plate with the oil on top. It was also mentioned that essential oils can be extracted into melted wax.
kateman
of late i have discovered the beautiful smell that my lemon myrtle can give when i rub the leaves together between my hands. It got me thinking, what can i do to get this smell throughout my house?
i have thought of two ideas so far (iam open to any others): dry the leaves and turn it into an incense candle or extract the oil by soaking the leaves in vodka and freezing the liquid so that the oil goes to the top before the vodka freezes

i was thinking of burning the dry leaves but how can i reduce the rate in which it burns (please keep in mind it can't be poisonous)?
i did think of adding charcoal with it, separate it a bit but iam not sure how well that would actually work.

any advice is welcome! :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Since you mentioned you had thought about extracting the oil, what about just using that to create a typical scented wax candle? There are plenty of how-to guides online about making your own scented candles, you'd just be using a homemade liquid scent instead of a commercial scent.

Otherwise, making your own incense (loose or cone/stick) at home is also very doable. Here, again, you can go online and pick your preferred method from the how-to guides out there.

I wouldn't dry the leaves first. Those oils you are smelling are volatile oils...

Extract them fresh with Everclear or try steam distillation. You might even try adding the wax to the pot and heat with a sachet of the fresh leaves. If the wax melts at something under the boiling point of water you could devise a liquid-liquid extraction system directly into the wax.

thanks to both of you for replying

chemisttree said:
I wouldn't dry the leaves first. Those oils you are smelling are volatile oils...

why not dry them (if it isn't done at a temperature to denature the oils, that is)?

any decent way that i could conduct steam distillation considering i don't have any of the normal equipment around the place (i.e. useing household utensils)?

its just the vodka idea takes a while and has no really reassurance of its purity/concentration

oh and my new idea for getting the smell throughout the house is a small candle under a ceramic plate with the oil on top - giving enough heat to vaporise yet not enough to denature it

kateman said:
why not dry them (if it isn't done at a temperature to denature the oils, that is)?

When you dry the leaves, you are also drying out the essential oils... since they are volatile just like water is.

Steam distillation requires specialized equipment.

Essential oils are usually pretty nonpolar things. They would extract nicely into melted wax, I believe.

thanks for that - helps a lot :)

What is a long life burner and how does it work?

A long life burner is a type of burner used in various heating systems, such as stoves and furnaces, that is designed to have a longer lifespan than traditional burners. It works by using a different type of fuel or design that allows for more efficient and consistent burning, resulting in less wear and tear on the burner.

What are the benefits of using a long life burner?

The main benefit of using a long life burner is its extended lifespan, which can save time and money on replacements. Additionally, these burners often have better energy efficiency, resulting in lower fuel costs and reduced environmental impact.

Are there different types of long life burners?

Yes, there are several different types of long life burners, including ceramic, infrared, and catalytic burners. Each type has its own unique design and fuel source, but they all share the common goal of prolonging the lifespan of the burner.

How do I know if a long life burner is right for my heating system?

It is important to consult with a professional to determine if a long life burner is suitable for your specific heating system. They will be able to assess your current equipment and make recommendations based on your needs and budget.

Can I retrofit my existing heating system with a long life burner?

In some cases, it is possible to retrofit an existing heating system with a long life burner. However, this will depend on the type of burner and the compatibility with your current equipment. A professional can help determine if this is a viable option for your system.