1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a MHD simulation (Magnito-Hydro-Dynamics)

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I'm looking for a simulator for magnetism and fluid dynamics(with the objective of modeling atmospheric reentry), and was wondering if anyone knew of one(preferably free/open source). If anyone feels like searching(I couldn't find anything) the field is called magnetohydrodynamics.

In the event there isn't such a program readily available, then I'm seriously considering writing a quick and dirty one myself. I think I'm sufficiently proficient with the computer and programming aspect, though I would need some help with the math. The simulator needs:
    --run on Windows 7 or Ubuntu(11.4); Either one is fine.
    --Implement all of maxwell's equations
    --Be capable of modeling hypersonic airflows, under the influence of potentially changing electric and magnetic fields.
    --Be capable of tracking temperature of the airflow and applying ionization in sufficiently high energy collisions
    --Calculate gray body emissions and absorption for all involved particles

If anyone could help me either in locating a program fitting those specifications or with the math involved in designing one I would be very grateful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted