1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a microscope that

1. Jan 1, 2004 #1
    could be used in a lab. I would like to do my own research on reproduction
    and I was curious what magnification level microscope would I need to look at spermatzoa? Do I need a scope more then 1000x? I have tried google and I can't find anything anywhere. Would this microscope work?
    its the PART NO: J-01210 for $375.95

These are the specs
    30 degree Seidentopf (the best) binocular head rotatable 360 degrees.
    Interpupillary distance adjustment 55-75mm
    Magnifications of 40x, 100x, 400x and 1000x.
    Optional Darkfield condensers available. Use S-01560 for 400x and S-01570 for 1000x(oil).
    Optional Phase Contrast kits available. Choose either Simple or Turret styles.
    Variable 20 watt bright halogen illumination (the best) with built-in blue filter.
    Reversed nosepiece for ease of specimen viewing and placement.
    4 1/2" x 5" (120 x 125mm) Graduated mechanical stage with coaxial, drop-down controls and rack and pinion adjustment. The entire stage moves in the X & Y direction, not just the specimen slide. And the drop-down controls are the best configuration for comfort.
    Coaxial coarse and fine focusing with low knob position for maximum comfort.
    4 DIN achromatic, parfocal, parcentered objectives: 4x (N.A. 0.10), 10x (N.A. 0.25), 40x retractable (N.A. 0.65), 100x retractable (oil immersion, N.A. 1.25).
    Abbe condenser N.A. 1.25.
    Iris diaphragm with filter holder.
    Paired 10X widefield eyepieces with graduated diopter adjustment.
    Stage focus stop to protect objectives and slides.
    Includes immersion oil, extra halogen bulb, fuse, dust cover and instructions.
    In-base power control switch and 3-wire UL approved power cord.
    Five year limited warranty.
    Overall Size: 6 1/2" x 8 1/4" x 15" H, Net Weight: 10 1/2 lbs.
    If a carrying case is desired, use S-05400 or S-01240
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2004 #2
    Or how about this microscope the meade model 9460 with 1250x?
    A sophisticated tool for the dedicated amateur scientist

The Meade Model 9460 microscope presents a wealth of high-resolution detail for the advanced amateur botanist or biologist. Observing magnifications to 1250x yield the potential for a lifetime of serious microscopic studies.

Standard equipment includes a research-level assortment of equipment, components, and features: three professional-size, turret-mounted objective lenses (10x, 40x, and 100x), combined with two wide-field eyepieces of 10x and 12.5x to yield magnifications of 100x, 125x, 400x, 500x, 1000x, and 1250x; a 360°-rotatable eyepiece head set at a convenient 45° observing angle; and a large 110mm x 120mm mechanical stage with micrometric x - y controls for specimen centering in the field of view. A built-in electric illuminator, Abbe-type condensing lens, and iris diaphragm permit bright, uniform illumination of the specimen. Manufactured to professional standards, the Meade Model 9460 is an exciting educational tool for advanced studies in botany and biology.

Specifications: Model 9460—Includes three professional-size, turret-mounted objective lenses (10x, 40x, and 100x), combined with two wide-field eyepieces of 10x and 12.5x, to yield magnifications of 100x, 125x, 400x, 500x, 1000x, and 1250x; precision coarse-and-fine rack-and-pinion focusing mechanism; Abbe-type condensing lens system and iris diaphragm; electric illuminator with diffusion lens; specimen stage 110mm x 120mm with micrometric x - y controls (25mm longitudinal, 50mm transverse) for specimen centering; slide set with 5 prepared slides and 5 blank slides.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?