Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a new book!

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

I have read both "A Brief History of Time" and "The Trouble with Physics" and I am comfotable with this level of detail. Now both give me a broad idea of what's going on out there, or atleast some idea of what people think is. I am looking for a book based on Quantum Mechanics, but not a textbook one like the ones I have mentioned that take you through the basics and isn't too difficult to read. Any help would be great. Thank You!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have heard the best pop-sci book on QM is 'finding schrodinger's cat' by Gribbin, although I have not read it myself.

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I'll give it a look. If anyone else has heard of this book or something along these lines, it would be great if you gave a few reccomendations.

_Mayday_

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Apr 12, 2008 #6

xristy

Gold Member

I can recommend the following books:

1) Bruce Schumm; Deep Down Things - this is probably the most extraordinary book out there at communicating the concepts of field theory and gauge theory

2) Amir D. Aczel; Entanglement - gives a very good discussion of the people and the concepts surrounding non-locality in quantum mechanics.

3) John Polkinghorne; Quantum Theory - A Very Short Introduction - This is a short and sweet mainstream introduction to Quantum Theory - double slit, Stern-Gerlach , Dirac and so on.

4) Peter Woit; Not Even Wrong - despite having negative comments regarding String Theory in the later chapters, the early chapters up through 9 are a nice discussion of history and conceptual structure of quantum and particle physics;

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7
    Thanks Malawi, haven't seen you around in ages!

Xristy, I'll give those a look thanks.

9. Apr 12, 2008 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I though you where the one who wrote in his blog that he must leave PF? ;)

10. Apr 16, 2008 #9
    Malawi, I've got the balance right between this place and the classroom. In the past two weeks I have achieved two A grades, and with your help on Sunday was the only person who could get to the correct answer, and explain exactly how I got there, so I thank you for that.

The book I mentioned in my initial post has now been ordered, and should be here soon!

11. Apr 16, 2008 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hehe that is awesome! I have been here quite much, helping people. Tomorrow my courses starts for real, so I will not be here so much then :( Glad I could help you (again)

have you looked at some of the suggested books here?

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11
    Yep! What course is it that you are taking? Goodluck with it anyway!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook