1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a new book!

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

I have read both "A Brief History of Time" and "The Trouble with Physics" and I am comfotable with this level of detail. Now both give me a broad idea of what's going on out there, or atleast some idea of what people think is. I am looking for a book based on Quantum Mechanics, but not a textbook one like the ones I have mentioned that take you through the basics and isn't too difficult to read. Any help would be great. Thank You!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    I have just come across this book. It looks quite good, and talks about both Quantum Theory and Relativity. Anyone read it? Any other suggestions or reccomendations.

_Mayday_

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have heard the best pop-sci book on QM is 'finding schrodinger's cat' by Gribbin, although I have not read it myself.

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I'll give it a look. If anyone else has heard of this book or something along these lines, it would be great if you gave a few reccomendations.

_Mayday_

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Apr 12, 2008 #6

xristy

Gold Member

I can recommend the following books:

1) Bruce Schumm; Deep Down Things - this is probably the most extraordinary book out there at communicating the concepts of field theory and gauge theory

2) Amir D. Aczel; Entanglement - gives a very good discussion of the people and the concepts surrounding non-locality in quantum mechanics.

3) John Polkinghorne; Quantum Theory - A Very Short Introduction - This is a short and sweet mainstream introduction to Quantum Theory - double slit, Stern-Gerlach , Dirac and so on.

4) Peter Woit; Not Even Wrong - despite having negative comments regarding String Theory in the later chapters, the early chapters up through 9 are a nice discussion of history and conceptual structure of quantum and particle physics;

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7
    Thanks Malawi, haven't seen you around in ages!

Xristy, I'll give those a look thanks.

9. Apr 12, 2008 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I though you where the one who wrote in his blog that he must leave PF? ;)

10. Apr 16, 2008 #9
    Malawi, I've got the balance right between this place and the classroom. In the past two weeks I have achieved two A grades, and with your help on Sunday was the only person who could get to the correct answer, and explain exactly how I got there, so I thank you for that.

The book I mentioned in my initial post has now been ordered, and should be here soon!

11. Apr 16, 2008 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hehe that is awesome! I have been here quite much, helping people. Tomorrow my courses starts for real, so I will not be here so much then :( Glad I could help you (again)

have you looked at some of the suggested books here?

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11
    Yep! What course is it that you are taking? Goodluck with it anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?