Need a Laptop for Heavy Physics Work? Let's Find the Perfect One Together!

• Thread starter vikkipedia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: Thanks for the reply's appreciate it and ill consider your thoughts :)In summary, a Physics student is looking for a new laptop that can handle heavy math and simulations. They prefer an 13"-14" screen size, a durable case, and a budget of $600-$700. They suggest looking at Lenovo laptops as they are good and have been a fan of the brand before. They mention that they recently bought one for $350 and it came from a Sam's Club. Mine came with a sturdy aluminum case and I think it was an Asusz or something close to that. They also mention that the market is competitive and you can find a good laptop for a cheaper price. They say to get plenty of memory, a virus protection, and micro
vikkipedia
Looking for a new laptop? :)

Hi,

I am an Physics student looking for a new laptop that can handle pretty heavy mathematica and simulations. It needs to be fairly portable and light I've been looking at Lenovo's computers but i need someone elses opinion:)
I prefer :

-13"-14"

And thatis pretty much all :) So please reply if you got an opinion

Engineering news on Phys.org

Lenovo's are good. Been a thinkpad fan for many years, you can't go wrong with them.

I'd think $500 would buy a very nice laptop

i recently bought one with 16 inch screen for $350

Mine came from a Sam's club
it has a sturdy aluminum case, i think it's an Asusz or something close to that phonetic spelling
but the market is so competitive you can do as well elsewhere
just get plenty of memory to run windows...
and get antui virus. I use microsoft's free one.

Thanks for the reply's appreciate it and ill consider your thoughts :)

vikkipedia said:
Hi,

I am an Physics student looking for a new laptop that can handle pretty heavy mathematica and simulations. It needs to be fairly portable and light I've been looking at Lenovo's computers but i need someone elses opinion:)
I prefer :

-13"-14"

And thatis pretty much all :) So please reply if you got an opinion
What's your budget? Do you have a brand prefer or hate?

I like 13", I think what you are asking on the computer is not hard. Those simulations should be much easier on the computer than those entertainment stuff where they need high quality video, larger data storage etc.

I think about $600 to $700 will get you a good one. I personally like HP. I don't buy the top of the line as in 3 to 6 months, they are out dated and cost a lot less. $2000 computer a year or two ago is $500 today!

You want it fairly portable and light and 13"-14", so do you want to get a Ultrabook ?

Here are some models , you can check out, see if you are interested
http://ultrathinlaptops.org/best-ultrabooks-under-800-dollars/
http://ultrathinlaptops.org/best-ultrabook/
These are Ultrabooks, thin and light, you can choose one depends on your budget

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to suggest you to put portability at first priority. There is lots of publicizing about processing power but in my experience a decent dual core (1.2 GHz) is all that needed. Further by not going for very hi specs processing power you can find laptops with amazing battery life, making it even more portable. Yes, great processors compiles programs faster, simulates faster but 99 % of the time we are just typing the programs, or drawing the circuits or browsing the web. Few extra seconds slowness during intense processing doesn't really matter enough to pay higher money and compromise portability. At least that was my experience.

1. What is the best brand for a new laptop?

This is a subjective question as different brands offer different features and cater to different needs. Some popular brands include Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Asus. It is important to research and compare the specifications and prices of different brands to determine which one best suits your needs.

2. How much RAM do I need for a new laptop?

The amount of RAM you need depends on your usage. For basic tasks like browsing the internet and using Microsoft Office, 4GB of RAM should suffice. For more intensive tasks like video editing or gaming, 8GB or more may be necessary. It is also important to consider the type of RAM (DDR3 or DDR4) and its speed.

3. What is the ideal processor for a new laptop?

Again, this depends on your usage. For basic tasks, a dual-core processor like Intel Core i3 or AMD Ryzen 3 should suffice. For more demanding tasks, a quad-core processor like Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 may be necessary. It is also important to consider the generation and speed of the processor.

4. What storage capacity should I look for in a new laptop?

The storage capacity you need depends on your usage. For basic tasks, 256GB or 512GB of storage should suffice. For more storage-intensive tasks like video editing or gaming, 1TB or more may be necessary. It is also important to consider the type of storage (HDD or SSD) and its speed.

5. Should I prioritize graphics card in a new laptop?

If you are planning to use your laptop for gaming or video editing, then yes, a dedicated graphics card is important. However, if you only plan to use it for basic tasks, then an integrated graphics card should suffice. It is also important to consider the type and model of the graphics card for optimal performance.