1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Looking for a physics course

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    Hi! I'm a mathematician but I'm now stuyding some physics. I like it, but I am not completely satisfied with the presentation in ordinary books. I want to find a physics book with no fear for math! In traditional textbooks, line integrals, surface integrals, Stoke's theorem is always avoided! I hope someone could recommend a good math-based physics book. I'm especially interested in electricity and magnetism.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2
    I recommend a 2nd year college Electricity and Magnetism course. My preference, being an experimenter, would be for a course using MKS units. Thus quantities are volts, amps, Tesla, Coulombs, Farads, Henrys, amp-turns, meters etc. Avoid most EE courses (generally they minimize the math). Advanced EE electricial circuits courses MAY get into poles, zeroes, and stability diagrams.

4. May 25, 2009 #3
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. May 25, 2009 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. May 29, 2009 #5
    Hi,

You might want to take a look at the following book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243628545&sr=1-1"

It basically discusses electromagnetism from an axiomatic point in terms of differential geometry. Especially if you are a mathematician this will probably be very interesting.
    Parts of it are available online on the homepage of the author:
    http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/gravitation/mitarbeiter/Birkshowme.pdf"

A few suggestions for other topics (I only cite books which are on a mathematically quite high level):
    Mechanics: Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics by V.I. Arnol'd
    Quantum Mechanics: Mathematical Concepts of Quantum Mechanics by Gustafson and Sigal
    and of course the books by Reed and Simon
    GR: Large Scale Structure of Space-time by Hawking and Ellis

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. May 29, 2009 #6
    Seconded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook