1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a program to possibly help me with a project

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    I just got one of the most tedious projects of my life... in math class! I need to take a picture and put it on graph paper and plot 2 axis then write over 100 functions which if all graphed would make the picture I chose. We need to use 16 different types of functions and I was wondering if theres a program that could help me with this. I was thinking of something like Paint and every curve/line you draw it gives you a function that matches it. Anyone have any suggestions to my project that might help me such as: pictures to choose, and a program.

I was thinking of doing a train.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey zaddyzad.

This is not an easy project, but an automated way would be to use an edge detection filter and then turn every edge into a function by fitting a polynomial.

If you don't have programming experience then I wouldn't bother but if you have enough, then that is the approach I would take to automate the entire task.

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    Yeah, I dont hahahha. I was hoping theres already a program that can write functions for lines you draw/trace etc...

If anyone knows of something like that it'd be appreciated if you told me about it :D.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4
    I'd start from the 16 types of function.

Would sin and cos count as 1 or 2? Tan?
    Exponential, log, linear, poly-2 -3 -4, hyperbola, gaussian, ...

I'm thinking sunrise, hills, volcanoes, waves, clouds, maybe simplified trees. :-)

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5
    I have to say that's an inventive exercise (sorry, I'm aware you find it tedious). It really forces one to explore the ways to bend functions to your will. I don't know of any program that will do that, except perhaps some heavy-weight mathematics applications, but do know programming. And I know enough of it know that it's very technical what you're wanting to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook