Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a Quote from The Old Testament

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    I am seeking a quote, from the Old Testament, that depicts God as an opressive being. If someone can direct me to one, I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Define "opressive" and how exactly can someones entire personality be depicted in a single quote? What is this, a political blog? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

What about when God killed everybody on Earth except Noah and his family? That's kind of oppressive.
  5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Oh my, there are tons. I don't have a bible with me, I moved it from the bathroom and misplaced it, but for instance there is the time he got angry with some guy because he told him to destroy some city and "kill every man, woman, child and animal" because they weren't worshiping him and the guy spared some of them and God got really angry. Lots of those kinds of things in the old testament. God wasn't very nice.
  6. Jan 14, 2006 #5
    I'm trying to write an essay, and, in it, I will be comparing Napoleon, from George Orwell's Animal Farm, to God (specifically The Old Testament version). Furthermore, the essay deals with religious oppression; therefore, I am looking for a quote that shows God's oppressive nature or his belief in objectivity.
  7. Jan 14, 2006 #6

Gold Member

You're comparing god to a talking pig?

that's kinda wierd.
  8. Jan 14, 2006 #7
    Was that really necessary? Even if you aren't Jewish/Christian, that does not mean you should mention their holy book in such a disrespectful manner.
  9. Jan 14, 2006 #8

Staff: Mentor

I'd have to find the bible and find the passages. :bugeye: I'll find some for you.

The Extermination of the Canaanites

When the Israelites were commissioned to take the land of Canaan, the Lord instructed them to smite completely the peoples, and to show no mercy upon them (Deuteronomy 7:1-5). Accordingly, when Israel invaded Jericho, for example, we are informed:

“And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, both young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword” (Joshua 6:21).
  10. Jan 14, 2006 #9

Disrespectful manner ..................... please :uhh:
  11. Jan 14, 2006 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just start reading Genesis. Even for a slow reader, I don't think it would take more than 10 minutes to find a suitable quote. I once started reading it out of curiosity, keeping a pen with me to underline the "interesting" parts. I ran out of ink pretty quickly.

That's interesting, I thought he was supposed to represent a Communist dictator...though I suppose said dictators play the role of a god of sorts.
  12. Jan 14, 2006 #11
    I found the death of the first born children as the last plague in Exodus to be quite oppressive. (Exodus 11:1-10, 12:1-42)
  13. Jan 15, 2006 #12

Gold Member

Edit: Oh, sorry, I missed the OT part the first time. The same and similar ideas are there too.

I would look for ideas that have actually caused oppression. This one might have helped to put and keep women in their place -- subordinate baby-makers for the virtuous men, who were, by the bye, literally first. I think its offense might even admitted by the rewordings of the "newer and improved" versions.

In case the link doesn't work (the first quote is from the King James Version of 1611):
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  14. Jan 15, 2006 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To wilfully appear as a burning bush is extremely oppressive (or, at least, punitive), IMO, considering the cultural context in which God chose to do so.

In such a desert country, not a single bush can be wasted (think of the berries lost for human consumption as a result of this rash act).
  15. Jan 15, 2006 #14
    it would be cool to study the bible someday, just to see what's in there. chomsky has said it's the most genocidal book in our entire canon, but i guess there are a few good lessons, etc in there also.
  16. Jan 15, 2006 #15

Gold Member

And another clear sign of his misogynic tendencies.

Hey, where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  17. Jan 15, 2006 #16
    "And following God's command the young prophet Trib had the tip of his penis severed. And God was happy." Tribdocius 3:12
  18. Jan 17, 2006 #17
    Did you guys get to the part where he said he would never flood the world again? Anyways if you guys would read the
    New Testiment then you would discover that God would appear much nicer. Why is that? It is because of Jesus dying on the cross, to pay for everyone sins. It is like a safety buffer, otherwise we would all go to hell if we did not scarfice a couple animals every week. And for the part of him not changing at all, life is harsh and people deserve "to reap as they sow". Though do not view the bible as telling people to be war mongers and killers. Such versus as "Leave vegance to the lord" suggest my point.
    You guys really have to read the entire book before you speculate like that, otherwise you just look like idiots who pick up buzz words in the first ten pages.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  19. Jan 17, 2006 #18
    Yeah, idiots, sorta like not reading the origional question that talks about the old testament, and giving an anwser based on the new testament. For a religious scholar, you should at least spell testament correctly. Unless you speak some sort of Australian -G'day whatcha reading there? The test-i-MATE!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  20. Jan 17, 2006 #19
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    i dont see it as a kind of opression having the tip of your penis severed :biggrin:
  21. Jan 17, 2006 #20
    My bad but I am sure my misspelling is a testament to the rest of the gross misspelling on this website.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?