Theoretical Magnetism & Electricity: Finding the Right School

In summary, there are many options for undergraduate students interested in studying theoretical magnetism and its relationship with electricity.
lawnphysics
I am looking for good schools that focus on the theory end of magnetics. I am fascinated with magnetism and the relationship between magnetism and electricity. I am an undergraduate student, currently taken 12 months leave from school to take care of elderly family members who are ill. I am continuing to study Mathematics on a solo basis for good measure and not get rusty.

Basically that's it. I just want to find a school to go to that specializes in theoretical magnetism and electricity/energy generation.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several universities that offer courses and programs related to magnetics and electricity/energy generation. Some of the top institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Carnegie Mellon University, University of California-Berkeley, Cornell University, Harvard University, and Princeton University. Additionally, there are smaller schools such as Oregon State University, University of Michigan, and University of Wisconsin-Madison that offer courses and programs related to magnetism and electricity/energy generation. You may want to contact the individual institutions to see what specific courses they offer in this field.

1. What is the difference between "theoretical" and "applied" magnetism and electricity?

Theoretical magnetism and electricity refers to the study and development of mathematical models and theories to understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism. On the other hand, applied magnetism and electricity focuses on using these principles to design and develop practical applications, such as electronic devices and power systems.

2. What should I look for in a school that specializes in theoretical magnetism and electricity?

When looking for a school that specializes in theoretical magnetism and electricity, it is important to consider the faculty's expertise in the field, the research opportunities available, and the curriculum offered. It is also beneficial to look for schools with strong partnerships with industry and access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites or recommended courses for studying theoretical magnetism and electricity?

While specific prerequisites may vary depending on the school, most programs in theoretical magnetism and electricity require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and electromagnetism. It is also beneficial to have experience with computer programming and data analysis.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in theoretical magnetism and electricity?

Graduates with a degree in theoretical magnetism and electricity can pursue careers in research and development, teaching, or consulting in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy. They can also continue their studies in graduate school to further specialize in a specific area of theoretical magnetism and electricity.

5. Are there any professional organizations or conferences for theoretical magnetism and electricity?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and conferences dedicated to theoretical magnetism and electricity, such as the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) Commission on Magnetism and the International Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. These organizations and conferences provide opportunities for networking, sharing research, and staying updated on the latest developments in the field.