Switch for 220V AC & Battery - 12V DC Output

• Thread starter harmander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the person is looking for an off-the-shelf device that can handle both 220V AC and battery (DC) power. The desired output is 12V DC, and when powered by AC, it should automatically switch from DC to AC and also charge the battery. The purpose of this device is for a project in which portable equipment requires 12V DC power, but the person wants to incorporate an AC power supply for when it is available. The desired device should have the functionality of AC-DC conversion, being able to be powered by either source, automatically switching to AC, and providing a 12V DC output.
harmander
Hi
I am looking for off the shelf switch which can handle both 220v Ac and Battery(dc).
output of the switch should be 12vdc, when powered by AC it should automatically cut the DC and start Charging the battery and rectify AC to DC. Please help.its really imp for my project.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a networking switch for ethernet networks? I ask because you said "output of the switch should be 12vdc", but an electrical switch does not have an output. A switch in the context of electronics is a device which makes or breaks electrical connections.

What I'm getting is that you want a device with the following properties:
- Is an active device
- Can be powered from AC or DC source
- Produces 12V DC at its output

Is this correct? I don't know what you mean by "charging the battery". What battery? And what is the project?

Yes I mean by device, I used word switch because it should switch between AC and DC depending upon type of power. basically I have a project in which our equipment (portable) works on 12vdc so we have batteries to supply 12vdc but now I want to incorporate AC power supply too in the system so that when AC is on the device runs on AC supply and also helps in charging the battery pack attached, so basically I am looking for a device with following functionality
1. ac-dc conversion
2.can be powered by either source
3.automaticaly switch to AC
4. output 12vdc
Thanks
H

1. How does a switch for 220V AC & battery work?

A switch for 220V AC & battery works by converting the high voltage AC power from a wall outlet into low voltage DC power that is suitable for use with electronics and devices that require 12V DC input. The switch has a built-in transformer that steps down the voltage and a rectifier that converts the AC power into DC power.

2. Can I use a switch for 220V AC & battery to power my car?

No, a switch for 220V AC & battery is not designed to power a car. It is meant for use with small electronics and devices that require 12V DC input. Cars use a different type of battery and require a much higher voltage to run.

3. Is it safe to use a switch for 220V AC & battery?

Yes, as long as it is used properly and according to the manufacturer's instructions. The switch is designed to convert high voltage AC power into low voltage DC power, making it safer for use with electronic devices. However, it is always important to handle electricity with caution and to follow safety precautions.

4. What devices can I power with a switch for 220V AC & battery?

A switch for 220V AC & battery can power a variety of devices that require 12V DC input, such as LED lights, small motors, and electronic gadgets. It is important to check the power requirements of your specific device before using the switch to ensure compatibility.

5. Can I use a switch for 220V AC & battery in any country?

No, the switch is designed to work with 220V AC power, which is the standard voltage in many countries. If you are traveling to a country with a different voltage, you will need to use a different type of switch or a voltage converter to ensure compatibility with the local power supply.