Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a type of book

1. Jun 26, 2003 #1
    I'm coming towards the close of a good (yet dated) book: Men of Mathematics, by E.T. Bell. For those of you who haven't read it, the book gives a detailed accounts of the lives up the many recent greatest mathematicians and also touches upon the work they did.

Is there a book that would be akin to Bell's but for physics instead? A "Men of Physics" per se that discusses the lives of men like Einstein, Bohr, Thompson, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2003 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Give Schrodinger's Cat
    by John Gribin a try. While it is not specifically a biography of Physicists it is a very good history of the development of modern physics and who did what.

4. Jun 27, 2003 #3
    i have got to agree, that is probably the best book about the history of physics ive read.
    (dont understand the relevence of the title though):wink:

5. Jun 27, 2003 #4
    Quantum Physicists

by William H. Cropper. Has many good technical explanations in it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  6. Jun 27, 2003 #5
    Hi suffian,
    You would be highly pleased with the strongly biographical nearly 3000 page treatment (three volumes) by Jefferson Hane Weaver and titled: "THE WORLD OF PHYSICS" subtitled "A Small Library of the Literature of Physics from Antiquity to the Present". Look for it at your public, school,or College Library. I found my set of these tomes on ebay for 30 or so bucks; they were beautifully new except for quite slight high-lighting. I consider this set more valuable to me than my 3 volume set of Feynman's notes. Cheers, Jim

7. Jun 27, 2003 #6
    Thx! I checked out amazon and these all look like great books, I can't wait to dive in.

8. Jun 27, 2003 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a book about Feynman called Genius. I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about it.

9. Jun 28, 2003 #8
    I'm in the middle of "On the Shoulders of Giants" right now.

Subtitle: "The Great Works of Physics and Astronomy" "Edited, with commentary, by Stephen Hawking)

Features the major works of Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, and Einstein.

It's worth checking out at your local library.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?