Is There a Men of Physics Book Similar to Men of Mathematics?

• Thread starter suffian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Type
In summary, there are several books that discuss the lives and work of famous physicists, including "Men of Physics" by John Gribin, "Quantum Physicists" by William H. Cropper, "Genius" about Richard Feynman, and "On the Shoulders of Giants" edited by Stephen Hawking. These books offer biographical information and historical context for the work of renowned physicists such as Einstein, Bohr, Thompson, and more.
suffian
I'm coming towards the close of a good (yet dated) book: Men of Mathematics, by E.T. Bell. For those of you who haven't read it, the book gives a detailed accounts of the lives up the many recent greatest mathematicians and also touches upon the work they did.

Is there a book that would be akin to Bell's but for physics instead? A "Men of Physics" per se that discusses the lives of men like Einstein, Bohr, Thompson, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Give Schrodinger's Cat
by John Gribin a try. While it is not specifically a biography of Physicists it is a very good history of the development of modern physics and who did what.

i have got to agree, that is probably the best book about the history of physics I've read.
(dont understand the relevence of the title though):wink:

Quantum Physicists

by William H. Cropper. Has many good technical explanations in it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by suffian
I'm coming towards the close of a good (yet dated) book: Men of Mathematics, by E.T. Bell. For those of you who haven't read it, the book gives a detailed accounts of the lives up the many recent greatest mathematicians and also touches upon the work they did.

Is there a book that would be akin to Bell's but for physics instead? A "Men of Physics" per se that discusses the lives of men like Einstein, Bohr, Thompson, etc.

Hi suffian,
You would be highly pleased with the strongly biographical nearly 3000 page treatment (three volumes) by Jefferson Hane Weaver and titled: "THE WORLD OF PHYSICS" subtitled "A Small Library of the Literature of Physics from Antiquity to the Present". Look for it at your public, school,or College Library. I found my set of these tomes on ebay for 30 or so bucks; they were beautifully new except for quite slight high-lighting. I consider this set more valuable to me than my 3 volume set of Feynman's notes. Cheers, Jim

Thx! I checked out amazon and these all look like great books, I can't wait to dive in.

There's a book about Feynman called Genius. I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about it.

I'm in the middle of "On the Shoulders of Giants" right now.

Subtitle: "The Great Works of Physics and Astronomy" "Edited, with commentary, by Stephen Hawking)

Features the major works of Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, and Einstein.

It's worth checking out at your local library.

1. What is the best genre for me to read?

The best genre for you to read depends on your personal interests and preferences. Some popular genres include romance, mystery, science fiction, and historical fiction. It's important to explore different genres to find what you enjoy the most.

2. How can I find new and diverse authors to read?

One way to find new and diverse authors is to join book clubs or online communities that focus on promoting diverse books. You can also follow book blogs and social media accounts that feature diverse authors and book recommendations. Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and try new authors and genres.

3. What is the difference between fiction and non-fiction?

Fiction books are stories that are not based on real events or people, while non-fiction books are based on true events and facts. Fiction books can include genres such as fantasy, romance, and science fiction, while non-fiction books can include genres such as memoirs, biographies, and history.

4. How can I find books with diverse representation?

To find books with diverse representation, you can do a simple online search for "diverse books" or "books with diverse characters." There are also websites and online databases specifically dedicated to promoting diverse books, such as We Need Diverse Books and DiverseBooks.org.

5. What are some classic books that everyone should read?

Some classic books that are often recommended for readers include To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, 1984 by George Orwell, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. However, "classic" can mean different things to different people, so it's important to explore different time periods and genres to find what resonates with you.