Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a word

  1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

    We know that (E,p) are the components of a four vector and it is called the four-momentum.

    Likewise (V,A) are the components of a four-vector and it is called the four-potential.

    But it seems that the four-vector with p-eA is the most important one, yet I don't recall every learning it's name. Does it have a name?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    canonical 4-momentum?
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    Actually, wouldn't that be the mechanical momentum...? mv = p - eA and all that... I guess as posed the question is ambiguous wrt to whether e is positive or negative.

    So either canonical or mechanical 4-momentum ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Looking for a word
  1. Looking for the Ether (Replies: 35)

  2. Looking in to the past (Replies: 14)