Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, a common eight-letter word of the form ABCBABCB is sought. There is no support for pattern matching among the Scrabble solvers I have found.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I am looking for a common eight-letter word of the form abcbabcb.
So monomono, or bakabaka or tikitiki would all match, if they were actual words.
There's some Scrabble solvers, but none of the ones I've found support pattern-matching.
Maybe I'll have to write one...

Likes epenguin
Physics news on Phys.org
lavalava - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava-lava
This word is shown hyphenated in the title, but without the hyphen in the body of the article.

Sing Sing - the prison in Ossining, NY

Noncandidates, as they're too long - Walla Walla and Hamma Hamma, both are place names where I live.

lavalava Hmm. I'll try that. (I knew it would be something Oceanic)
P.S. how did you find it so quick?

Meanwhile, it's got to be in this list. I need someone to parse it. There's only 17,550 to look through. Anytime in the next 10 minutes will be fine.

(Maybe if I spellcheck it, I'll get 17,449 misspelled words, and one legit...)

Attachments

• abcbabcb words.txt
    154.2 KB · Views: 3,370
DaveC426913 said:
If you know it is "oceanic" and lavalava doesn't work, try kava-kava.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava

From a quick google for words with four repeating letters:
hotshots, kavakava, lavalava, caracara, couscous, chowchow, froufrou, greegree, guitguit.
The bolded three are the only ones which match abcbabcb. Others are a form of abcdabcd.

Last edited:
kavakava (more often just kava) and caracara were the ones of which I was thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracara is probably the most legit.

Likely such a word is derived from foreign words, e.g., couscous or guitguit. It may be either oceanic or tropical.

Um...BoraBora, anyone :oldbiggrin: ?

Btw, I was married at Lavalava :oldlove:

Likes collinsmark and Borek
Cocacola

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
If you know it is "oceanic" and lavalava doesn't work, try kava-kava.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava
I was going to suggest Kava-kava but got to looking at the medical research since the '70s when I was experimenting with it among other barks and roots. :olduhh:

Sorry, neither BoraBora nor CocaCola match the pattern. The others aren't exactly common, but we'll see.
Wikiwiki is out because I and N are disqualified due to another condition which I did not feel the need to include.

zoobyshoe said:
If you know it is "oceanic"
Nono. I'm simply guessing that it's likely to be a word from Hawaii or other Oceanic languge, simply based on the pattern. An eight letter word, using only three letters, one of the four times - probably a vowel.

Another candidate: Kawakawa. I'll cook up a code to see what can be done when I have the time.

At least I found out where "Wakawaka" came from.
My friend uses it profusely.

The line Fozzie the bear says after a very cheezy joke.

"Tell me, why do elephants have trunks?" asks Fozzie.
"Why?"
"Because they don't have glove compartments. WAKA WAKA."

Maybe KiWikiWi?

1. barabara
  2. caracara
  3. colocolo
  4. galagala
  5. kavakava
  6. kawakawa
  7. kivikivi
  8. kiwikiwi
  9. kolokolo
  10. lavalava
  11. matamata
  12. mocomoco
  13. murumuru
  14. palapala
  15. piripiri
  16. poroporo
  17. ramarama
  18. tikitiki
  19. torotoro
  20. tucutucu
  21. tukutuku
  22. wikiwiki
  23. wiliwili

Is there some context behind the word hunt?
Ed. - Struck out the ones with 'i'. 17 words left and none of them very common.

Last edited:
Me too. I'd like to learn what he would want to do with this string extraction.

(C1+V+C2+V)+(C1+V+C2+V)

DaveC426913 said:
P.S. how did you find it so quick?

Meanwhile, it's got to be in this list. I need someone to parse it. There's only 17,550 to look through. Anytime in the next 10 minutes will be fine.

(Maybe if I spellcheck it, I'll get 17,449 misspelled words, and one legit...)
That list seems to be going at it backwards since it is not a list of words. The way to do it would be to get a list of 8-letter words and scan it for the pattern.

phinds said:
That list seems to be going at it backwards since it is not a list of words. The way to do it would be to get a list of 8-letter words and scan it for the pattern.
Or you could fine tune 'grep' in BASH to find eight letter words with first four letters repeated and match it against the list of permutations like I did.

phinds said:
Sure, presuming you can guarantee that this apparently odd word is on that list. How wide a net would you have to cast to get a large enough list of words to include this one?

Silicon Waffle said:
(C1+V+C2+V)+(C1+V+C2+V)
BTW, we don't actually know which are consonants are which are vowels.

The pattern is more generally ABCBABCB or 2(ABCB).

Enigman said:
  1. barabara
  2. caracara
  3. colocolo
  4. galagala
  5. kavakava
  6. kawakawa
  7. kivikivi
  8. kiwikiwi
  9. kolokolo
  10. lavalava
  11. matamata
  12. mocomoco
  13. murumuru
  14. palapala
  15. piripiri
  16. poroporo
  17. ramarama
  18. tikitiki
  19. torotoro
  20. tucutucu
  21. tukutuku
  22. wikiwiki
  23. wiliwili

Is there some context behind the word hunt?
Ed. - Struck out the ones with 'i'. 17 words left and none of them very common.

Hm. It appears strikeout tags are not compatible with spoiler tags. I do not see the strikeouts in your original post. (check it yourself in post 17)

I was in the process of quoiting your post and crossing them out myself, when I noticed that my quote contains the strikeout formatting.

Enigman said:
And strikeouts in spoilers are working for me (chrome).
Strange. Now they're working for me too. o_O

Likes Silicon Waffle
Hey, I just discovered something. This letter pattern is defined by a moebius strip!

moebius.png

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Thanks all. The word was indeed lavalava.

This was for a particularly ornery codeword puzzle. It's essentially a crossword with no clues, but a number substitution algorithm. i.e.:

Code:
            [16]            [24]
    [23]    [14]            [15]
[19][ 4][ 8][ 4][19][ 4][ 8][ 4]
    [22]    [ 1]
            [ 6]

1. What is an "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern"?

An "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern" is a type of word puzzle in which the letters in the grid are arranged in a specific pattern, with the letters alternating between two different letters (e.g. "abcbabcb"). The goal is to find words within the grid that follow this same pattern.

2. How do I solve an "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern"?

To solve an "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern", you can start by looking for words that have eight letters and follow the given pattern. You can also try to find common prefixes and suffixes that fit the pattern. Another strategy is to look for words that have similar letters in the same position as the pattern (e.g. "apple" for "abcbabcb").

3. Are there any tips for solving an "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern"?

One tip for solving an "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern" is to try to break the pattern into smaller, more manageable parts. For example, instead of looking for the entire "abcbabcb" pattern, you can focus on finding words that follow the "abc" or "bcb" pattern. Another tip is to use a dictionary or word finder to help you find words that fit the pattern.

4. How can "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern" puzzles benefit my brain?

Solving "Eight-Letter Word Search: abcbabcb Pattern" puzzles can help improve your vocabulary, pattern recognition skills, and overall cognitive abilities. It can also be a fun and challenging way to exercise your brain and keep it sharp.

5. Are there any other variations of the "Eight-Letter Word Search" puzzle?

Yes, there are many variations of the "Eight-Letter Word Search" puzzle, such as using different letter patterns, having themed words, or using a different number of letters. Some variations also require you to find words that fit a certain theme or category (e.g. animals, countries, etc.). You can also create your own variations by coming up with your own letter patterns or themes.