Looking for advice regarding pursuing a masters degree in a 'new' field

AryaUnderfoot
Hi! I'm a recent graduate who majored in aquatic biology and minored in computer science. During my degree and an internship, I found out that the practical parts of biology does not quite appeal to me, but when I was briefly introduced to the more theoretical aspect, math modelling for wildlife conservation, it gave me the idea that I could be a biomathematician or a biostatistician, even though I'm not entirely sure what's it's all about. I loved maths in high school, especially calculus. But since I chose biology over maths in university, I haven't got the chance to further my understanding in the field. Hence the concerns: what can I do to catch up? Which is the wiser choice for someone like me, mathematical biology or statiscial ecology?

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
You might start by looking up what the requirements are to get into either program at the graduate level, and then work backwards. If you haven't taken any mathematics since high school, you might want to start there with a few university courses - introduction to statistics and maybe a mathematical modelling course. Once you have those under your belt, you'll be in a better position to decide whether the work that you'll need to do to get from where you're at to where you think you want to me is a journey worth taking.

Likes joshmccraney and AryaUnderfoot
mpresic3
Are you in a position to ask your supervisor during your internship regarding your future plans. He or she might be enthusiastic, in that recent turn towards the field that was the focus of your internship. Offhand, it seems like statistical ecology ming the closer to wildlife conservation, but I do not know the fields well. I am sure intern supervisor or mentor is closer to the scene of the action.

Suggested for: Looking for advice regarding pursuing a masters degree in a 'new' field

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post