Advice Needed: Last Year of College, Physics Degree, Grad School

• Thread starter Whowowwow
  • Start date
In summary, if you are motivated, have a good work ethic, are willing to do research, and are mature enough to handle the academic and research demands, then pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics with an intent on studying EE or ChemE in graduate school is a rational choice.
Whowowwow
I am 36 and enrolled in my last year at a small community college. I am pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics with an intent on studying EE or ChemE in grad school. Is that rational? or Does anyone have a better idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's perfectly rational if that's how you want to spend the next (approximately) decade of your life; there is no age limit on being a scientist or engineer.

Decade? Really??

take your time, everything's rational as long as you really want it. Good luck !

Whowowwow said:
Decade? Really??

You'll have to look at the requirements to get into your desired possibilities for graduate graduate school and see if you will meet them via your present degree program... although I'm not as familiar about EE/ChemE programs, most programs have a set of recommended undergraduate courses so that you can succeed in their core coursework (which usually takes 1-2 years); if you don't have these courses or their equivalent, you'll have to take an extra year of prerequisites to catch up, even if you are conditionally excepted.

In addition, most programs look for research experience. Do you have any applicable research or work experience?

Typically even if you are well prepared to do research, finish your core classes and qualifying exams and comprehensive exams early... if you're looking to get a Ph.D., expect it to take at least 5-7 years (WATCH OUT for it taking longer! sometimes universities have required graduation deadlines and you'll need to petition for early core courses to still count!). Often along the way you'll have to build equipment, things will break and you'll need to fix them, etc. Typically there's only about 3 times that everything is working, and that's what gives you the data to write publications and your dissertation. :rofl: The only people I knew that finished in less than five years from my program were a few theorists were very good at coding computer simulations and complex calculations...

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a physics degree in college?

A physics degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, finance, and data analysis. It also provides a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries.

2. Should I go to graduate school after completing my physics degree?

It depends on your career goals and interests. If you want to pursue a career in research or academia, then graduate school is highly recommended. However, if you are interested in other fields, such as engineering or data analysis, a graduate degree may not be necessary.

3. How can I prepare for graduate school during my last year of college?

Make sure to maintain a high GPA and take challenging courses in physics and related subjects. Also, consider getting involved in research projects, attending conferences, and networking with professors and other professionals in the field.

4. What should I look for in a graduate school program for physics?

Some key factors to consider are the program's reputation and ranking, faculty expertise and research opportunities, financial aid and funding options, and location. It is also important to find a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

5. Is it possible to switch to a different field after completing a physics degree and graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different field after completing a physics degree and graduate school. The skills and knowledge gained from a physics degree, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, are transferable to many industries. It may require additional education or training, but it is certainly possible to make a career change.