1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for advice

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Hello everybody!

Before I go to a problem, I’d like to apologize for my bad English cause it’s not my native language.

I am 21 years old student from Estonia. I am studying mechanical engineering over there. I just finished my first year of university, but I am more than sure that I will gain success only if I focus on certain field in early stage. Like in any other case the main question is what would be the best profession for me!?

Estonia is a small country and there’s no big opportunities for mechanical engineers. Still, at the moment i feel myself very confident. I know I am mechanically minded – I can see the problems, analyse them and also find solutions to solve them. I feel like I have inborn capacity. Everything else can be achieved by studying and practicing.

Recently I came in for a golden opportunity, however the chance it will work is 50/50. I might have chance to get training in every school holiday during the next 2 years(till I finish my bachelor of mechanical engineering). I would be trained in England and company will pay for the travelling expenses and accommodation. That means after my bachelor degree I have to work 2 more years in England, where more training would be provided. After that I probably would have to go China, Shanghai where I will get work as a sealing engineer. The company manufactures and distributes specialty seals used in hydraulic, pneumatic, and pipeline applications. This company is one of the unit of leading British-based manufacturer of industrial belting and other polymer-based products..

I have always been interested in fabrication. Making a product from steel bar and everything else that belongs to that process. I try always figure out how thing are made and I also got some ideas on my head. Especially when it bears on steel profiles, alloys but also composites and polymers. I have pondered a idea of CNC machinery and computer-aided-engineering.
    I have begun to think more and more maybe the money isn’t most important and I should do something that I really like. Something I don’t get bored but is challenging on the same time. I dont want to look after someones work, I want to make something on my own.

What do you think? Am I stupid if I give away a opportunity like I described above and start to do something else. One thing is dead sure – I have to leave my country. That means I need to find a company who is ready to support my studies and trainings. What could be a suitable profeesion for me?

Thank you for everybody who take a trouble to read this topic!

NOTE: If somebody knows any better place I could post this question please let me know.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted