Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for advice

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Hello everybody!

Before I go to a problem, I’d like to apologize for my bad English cause it’s not my native language.

I am 21 years old student from Estonia. I am studying mechanical engineering over there. I just finished my first year of university, but I am more than sure that I will gain success only if I focus on certain field in early stage. Like in any other case the main question is what would be the best profession for me!?

Estonia is a small country and there’s no big opportunities for mechanical engineers. Still, at the moment i feel myself very confident. I know I am mechanically minded – I can see the problems, analyse them and also find solutions to solve them. I feel like I have inborn capacity. Everything else can be achieved by studying and practicing.

Recently I came in for a golden opportunity, however the chance it will work is 50/50. I might have chance to get training in every school holiday during the next 2 years(till I finish my bachelor of mechanical engineering). I would be trained in England and company will pay for the travelling expenses and accommodation. That means after my bachelor degree I have to work 2 more years in England, where more training would be provided. After that I probably would have to go China, Shanghai where I will get work as a sealing engineer. The company manufactures and distributes specialty seals used in hydraulic, pneumatic, and pipeline applications. This company is one of the unit of leading British-based manufacturer of industrial belting and other polymer-based products..

I have always been interested in fabrication. Making a product from steel bar and everything else that belongs to that process. I try always figure out how thing are made and I also got some ideas on my head. Especially when it bears on steel profiles, alloys but also composites and polymers. I have pondered a idea of CNC machinery and computer-aided-engineering.
    I have begun to think more and more maybe the money isn’t most important and I should do something that I really like. Something I don’t get bored but is challenging on the same time. I dont want to look after someones work, I want to make something on my own.

What do you think? Am I stupid if I give away a opportunity like I described above and start to do something else. One thing is dead sure – I have to leave my country. That means I need to find a company who is ready to support my studies and trainings. What could be a suitable profeesion for me?

Thank you for everybody who take a trouble to read this topic!

NOTE: If somebody knows any better place I could post this question please let me know.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted