1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for aid in algebra

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    This is for my daughter. She is in her first year in high school. She lives in another state so I'm trying to find some software or books that I can use to help her. She’s having problems understanding things like x intercept and basic algebra principals. I'm doing what I can on the phone. So I guess I just need a refresher for myself, maybe a book, or software for her.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A few different ways of finding this help are possible. Could your daughter's school find or recommend someone as a tutor? Does her school district have an existing remedial tutoring program? Other possibilities are some tutor-tutee matching service like Wyzant or ClubZ, Bee Academic Tutoring, Alpine Tutoring,... there are some others, too; they might be a bit expensive. You can also try on-line classified communities like craigslist ( craigslist.org ) to both search for a tutor and to place an advertisement request for a tutor. You can also check with a local college, university, or community college as a source for a tutor.

4. Jan 4, 2009 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I second the idea to check with universities. I am an undergraduate who tutors for the university, but I have also tutored for people outside the university.

I have seen several fliers hung up in the math and physics departments at my school asking for math tutors. I know people who have answered those fliers to make some extra cash tutoring outside the university. Maybe you want to try advertising for a tutor like this at a local college or university?

5. Jan 5, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Does your daughter have access to the internet? There are some good sites on algebra, and we have some Learning Materials forums, which include pre-calculus mathematics.

Look here -

Precalculus Mathematics Learning Materials - https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178
    Basic Mathematics - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=128105

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?