1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an equation.

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    If you pour liquid from a regular juice box, and there is no air flowing into the container, then the liquid will squirt when it exits the open lid. But if you make a hole on the opposite side of the lid, so there are two holes. The original hole for pouring the liquid, and the second hole to create a flow of air into the container, the stream of the liquid will then be more smoothly and reduce the squirting.

My question is whether there is any equation to calculate how big the hole for the airflow must be, before the stream of the liquid leaving the juice box will be smoother, and not squirt. I've tried researching this for quite some time, but I've not find anything relevant.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2
    Hi Ytisulu, welcome to PhysicsForums! Since this is the Homework forum, we need you to do a couple things before we can help you out with this problem. Specifically, we need to know exactly what the problem statement is, and what things you've tried with it so far. Once you've done that, we can help you with whatever parts you're stuck on.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted