Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an experiment

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for experiments, which use both centripetal force and water properties.

(I need it as a part of my project in physics)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Is swinging a full bucket in a vertical circle too standard?
    Another is to demonstrate how quickly sandy water becomes clear in a centrifuge.
    Then there is the parabola formed when you stir the tea in a circle.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    Hi clem, first of all thank you very much!

Unfortunately, my physics teacher has already shown us these few execrsies in class, as an example for the excersises I should demonstarte.. :uhh:

If you/ someone else still have more ideas, i'll really appreciate your help.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    Apparatus may be a problem so I am thinking along the lines of using a garden sprinkler, the type that rotates when water is forced out of two nozzles facing in opposite directions and at the ends of a rotating arm.These can be picked up very cheaply at a D.I.Y.shop or a garden centre.There is some really meaty physics involved in this and you may have to do some of your investigation outside the lab.

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5
    Sounds good, thank you!

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

There's a famous Feynman story about whether if you suck the water in the thing will turn in the opposite direction ....

eg. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1988AmJPh..56..307H (I didn't read, it's just a link to get a search started in case you are interested.)

8. Feb 21, 2009 #7

atyy

Science Advisor

Were you really shown that it is a parabola?

9. Feb 21, 2009 #8
    My teacher has already shown it throught a video clip (on the computer), as an example. So I have to make other experiments..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook