Implementation of Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model

In summary, the conversation discusses an optimization model for generating correlated gaussian random fields, with a suggested implementation method using a standard formula and Matlab code. The speaker also mentions the importance of verifying the formula through mathematical calculations.
confused_engineer
TL;DR Summary
I have recently found an article with a useful algorithm. However, I don't understand it very well; thus, I would like to know if it is already implemented
Hello everyone. I have been recently working in an optimization model in the presence of uncertainty. I have read https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310742108_Efficient_Simulation_of_Stationary_Multivariate_Gaussian_Random_Fields_with_Given_Cross-Covariance in which, a methodology for generating correlated gaussian random fields. Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to implement it.

I was wondering if someone has seen an implementation of this methodology or knows where I can find one.

Best regards.
Confused engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to do?

Here is a standard way that works as long as you don't have too many variables to fit in your computer. Let ##N## correlated random variables arranged in a vector ##\mathbf{x}##, with mean ##\mathbf{m} = E[\mathbf{x}]## and covariance matrix ##\mathbf{K} = E\left[ \left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{m}\right)\left(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{m}\right)^T\right]##. One realization of this, ##\mathbf{x}_i##, can be generated by starting with a vector ##\mathbf{y}_i## that contains independent, unit-variance, zero-mean Gaussian random numbers. Below is Matlab code to show how it can be done. Please do the math and verify that you believe the formula I am using is correct - doing such calculations is how you learn this stuff.

Matlab:
% code assumes you have already defined K as an NxN covariance matrix
% and m as an Nx1 vector
N = 100;
yi = randn(N,1); % unit-variance Gaussian-distributed random numbers
Ksqrt = sqrtm(K);  % matrix square-root
xi = Ksqrt*yi + m;

1. What is a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model?

A Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of random variables that are spatially correlated. It assumes that the random variables follow a Gaussian distribution and that the correlation between them can be described by a covariance function.

2. How is a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model implemented?

A Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model is typically implemented using computer software or programming languages such as R or Python. The implementation involves specifying the necessary parameters, such as the mean and covariance function, and then using algorithms to generate random samples from the model.

3. What are the applications of a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model?

A Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model has various applications in fields such as geostatistics, spatial statistics, and environmental modeling. It can be used to analyze and predict spatial data, such as temperature or pollution levels, and to identify patterns and trends in the data.

4. How does a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model differ from other random field models?

A Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model is a specific type of random field model that assumes a Gaussian distribution and spatial correlation between random variables. Other random field models may have different assumptions, such as non-Gaussian distributions or different types of correlation functions.

5. What are the limitations of a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model?

One limitation of a Correlated Gaussian Random Fields Model is that it assumes the data is continuous and normally distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the model may not be suitable for highly non-linear or complex data, and the choice of covariance function can greatly impact the results.