Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Aristotle Reference

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Oh the joys of the internet. I read everywhere that Aristotle felt that an object in motion would come to rest without any force acting on it yet no one wants to source anything. I can't find this in his writings myself though I do believe its there somewhere as it seems to be a commonly held conception about Aristotle's views. Is it something that is implied and I'm missing it or is there a specific place he talks about this? I assume it's in his Physics.

Specific references would be nice :) Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

apeiron

Gold Member

If you google on "impetus" that would find you stuff. But you also need to be aware that "what Aristotle said" has become extremely caricatured - he is fingered as the guy that got it wrong so that modern physics can be seen as the guy who now got it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_impetus

The theory of impetus was an auxiliary or secondary theory of Aristotelian dynamics, put forth initially to explain projectile motion against gravity. It was first introduced by Hipparchus in antiquity, and subsequently further developed by John Philoponus in the 6th century AD. A radically different version was later developed by Avicenna (11th century) and Jean Buridan (14th century), which became an ancestor to the concepts of inertia, momentum and acceleration in classical mechanics. In the article, the Hipparchan-Philoponan theory will be referred to as the H-P theory, while the Avicennan-Buridan theory will be referred to as the A-B theory.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks a bunch, will look more into it now that I have a clue what I'm looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook