Looking for Aristotle Reference

• Thread starter runner108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of impetus, a secondary theory of Aristotelian dynamics used to explain projectile motion against gravity. It was first introduced by Hipparchus and later developed by John Philoponus, Avicenna, and Jean Buridan. The conversation also mentions the caricatured view of Aristotle's ideas and the search for specific references on his views.
runner108
Oh the joys of the internet. I read everywhere that Aristotle felt that an object in motion would come to rest without any force acting on it yet no one wants to source anything. I can't find this in his writings myself though I do believe its there somewhere as it seems to be a commonly held conception about Aristotle's views. Is it something that is implied and I'm missing it or is there a specific place he talks about this? I assume it's in his Physics.

Specific references would be nice :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
runner108 said:
Oh the joys of the internet. I read everywhere that Aristotle felt that an object in motion would come to rest without any force acting on it yet no one wants to source anything. I can't find this in his writings myself though I do believe its there somewhere as it seems to be a commonly held conception about Aristotle's views. Is it something that is implied and I'm missing it or is there a specific place he talks about this? I assume it's in his Physics.

Specific references would be nice :) Thanks!

If you google on "impetus" that would find you stuff. But you also need to be aware that "what Aristotle said" has become extremely caricatured - he is fingered as the guy that got it wrong so that modern physics can be seen as the guy who now got it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_impetus

The theory of impetus was an auxiliary or secondary theory of Aristotelian dynamics, put forth initially to explain projectile motion against gravity. It was first introduced by Hipparchus in antiquity, and subsequently further developed by John Philoponus in the 6th century AD. A radically different version was later developed by Avicenna (11th century) and Jean Buridan (14th century), which became an ancestor to the concepts of inertia, momentum and acceleration in classical mechanics. In the article, the Hipparchan-Philoponan theory will be referred to as the H-P theory, while the Avicennan-Buridan theory will be referred to as the A-B theory.

Thanks a bunch, will look more into it now that I have a clue what I'm looking for.

1. What is the significance of Aristotle in the scientific world?

Aristotle is often considered to be one of the most influential philosophers and scientists in history. He made significant contributions to various fields, including biology, psychology, logic, and ethics, which have greatly influenced the development of modern science.

2. How did Aristotle contribute to the field of biology?

Aristotle's work in biology focused on the classification and study of animals and plants. He believed in the concept of scala naturae, or the ladder of life, which placed organisms in a hierarchical order based on their complexity. His observations and writings on natural history were groundbreaking and laid the foundation for modern biology.

3. What is Aristotle's theory of the four causes?

Aristotle's theory of the four causes is a way of understanding and explaining the world around us. According to this theory, there are four types of causes: material, formal, efficient, and final. These causes work together to bring about the existence and behavior of things.

4. How did Aristotle contribute to the study of logic?

Aristotle's work in logic has had a lasting impact on the field. He developed the first formal system of logic and introduced the concepts of deduction and induction. His logical principles and methods are still used today in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

5. What is the relevance of Aristotle's teachings in modern times?

Aristotle's teachings and ideas continue to be relevant in modern times. Many of his theories and concepts have been refined and expanded upon, but their core principles still hold true. His emphasis on observation, logic, and the pursuit of knowledge remains essential to scientific inquiry and critical thinking.