Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for control board

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have in mind to build a robot which needs 8 servos to provide movements, what i can not find is a control board, i want the robot to be completely autonomous, no radio control or wires to computer doe's any one know if a board is made for what i want?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Woolie, have you not been warned upon several occasions about advertizing your sex life on line? And I'm pretty sure that at your age, 8 servos are far more than you need for satisfaction.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Ignoring that last comment..... :)

Google has hundreds of control boards.

Depends what you want. Mostly, you program a simple board to react to switches being bumped or ultrasonic detection of barriers or changing light levels or something like that. Decisions are then made to back off, turn left or whatever using control of the motors that drive the wheels if it is a car.

It is a fun thing to do, but very time consuming. Finding one to be already programmed for what you want would be unlikely unless you get a Lego or Radio Shack toy robot that already does tricks.

Robots as used in toys use servos while precision robots probably use stepper motors.

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Whoa, dude.... don't be stepping on me. My only two priorities in life are to razz Wollie and to get his daughter. Since the latter is out of the question, that leaves only one avenue of escape.

6. Sep 7, 2009 #5

wolram

Gold Member

http://www.robotshop.ca/society-of-robots-axon-microcontroller.html [Broken]

I just found this, do you think it will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 7, 2009 #6

wolram

Gold Member

lol,

8. Sep 7, 2009 #7

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Whoa, dude.... don't be stepping on me. My only two priorities in life are to razz Wollie and to get his daughter. Since the latter is out of the question, that leaves only one avenue of escape.
    I've heard about these isolated mountain families and don't like to get involved in family stuff...

http://www.robotshop.ca/society-of-r...ontroller.html [Broken]

I just found this, do you think it will do the job.

I guess it depends on what you want to do and if you know how to program the control board or what language it is programmed in. You haven't said what you really want this robot to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Sep 7, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

That's a very good point. I can design and build machines, but have no knowledge of electronics. The end purpose is pretty important for the over-all design.

10. Sep 7, 2009 #9
  11. Sep 7, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

So many possible responses to that... What to do, I wonder... what to do...? :uhh:

:biggrin:

12. Sep 7, 2009 #11
    Yes!!!

interpret at your own risk

13. Sep 8, 2009 #12

wolram

Gold Member

The robot will wander about the house, so no wirer connections between robot and controller they must be onboard, so i need a microcontroller and servo driver on the same board if possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook