Can you demonstrate EM induction with a transformer and magnet?

In summary, the classical "jumping ring" demonstration is a good way to introduce students to induction, and a simple transformer can also be a good demonstration.
JFS321
Hey folks, I'm looking for a high school laboratory to introduce students to induction. I've searched the usual suspects...Google, YouTube, etc...but nothing has really jumped out. I've ordered some toroids so students can compare the strength of magnetic fields in air versus ferrite, and I'll probably have them create an electromagnet, too. But, none of this really hits at the heart of induction. Any good demonstrations or ideas are much appreciated.

Joe

Science news on Phys.org
How about the classical "jumping ring" demonstration? Or a simple transformer?

Last edited:
Thanks. I like the transformer idea; hadn't considered it. I'll do some searching.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/afterschool/activities/docs/cupspeaker.pdf

I did something like this using a tiny coil of "magnet wire" (thin coated copper wire) as a demo for my class

I did the demo gradually.
  • First... show that the magnet wire [not connected to anything] is not attracted to a magnet.
  • Next, over a small neodymium magnet, position a very light coil (connected to a boombox speaker output) supported by magnet wire leads.
    You can see it vibrate when the current in the coil is changing and the magnet is positioned correctly.
  • Then, I place a little piece of scotch tape to cover the coil... essentially, a membrane to push the air better.
    You can hear it if you place your ear near and the boombox output is high enough.
  • Then, I tape it to the bottom of the styrofoam cup... and get a louder sound, similar to that video.
I think students appreciated it.
I might turn it into a lab activity for them to build next time.
This "train" is pretty cool... but I couldn't get it to run like the video.

(I just found this set of instructions... . I might try again soon.)

Fantastic video and will make a great inquiry...it will be interesting to see if any of the students can determine what is happening. Thanks for the link!

JFS321 said:
Hey folks, I'm looking for a high school laboratory to introduce students to induction. I've searched the usual suspects...Google, YouTube, etc...but nothing has really jumped out. I've ordered some toroids so students can compare the strength of magnetic fields in air versus ferrite, and I'll probably have them create an electromagnet, too. But, none of this really hits at the heart of induction. Any good demonstrations or ideas are much appreciated.

Joe
You can demonstrate EM induction using the primary coil of a big transformer and a magnet. I use a giant classroom milliammeter. We also have a demountable transformer, and we can make small transformers using C-cores, with about 30 turns of wire, so the pupils can find out about turns ratio. We use 1 volt AC so it does not get hot. We also have a mirror galvo, so we can show an induced EMF in a wire when a magnet is passed near it.

1. What is an induction lab?

An induction lab is a scientific experiment that involves the use of electromagnetic induction to generate an electric current in a circuit. It typically consists of a coil of wire and a magnet, and is used to demonstrate the principles of induction and how it can be used to produce electricity.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a circuit by moving a magnet or a conductor through a magnetic field. When a conductor, such as a wire, moves through a magnetic field, the magnetic field induces a current in the wire, creating an electric current.

3. What are some real-world applications of induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, wireless charging of devices, and induction heating for cooking and industrial processes. It is also used in the functioning of electric motors and transformers.

4. What are some factors that affect induction?

The strength of the magnetic field, the speed of movement, and the number of turns in the coil are all factors that can affect electromagnetic induction. Additionally, the material of the conductor and the angle of movement can also impact the amount of induced current.

5. How is induction related to Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This means that the faster the movement of the magnet or conductor, the stronger the induced current will be. This law is the basis for understanding and predicting the behavior of induction in various experiments and applications.