1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for info about cluster orbitals

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1

Looking for info about "cluster orbitals"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is the orbital 1d present in eg an Al2-cluster but not in a H-atom?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a question for an assignment. The answer is probably not meant to be very elaborate, "Because it is specific for a cluster which differs from a single atom" probably suffices (the question isn't formulated exactly like I wrote before, it is about interpreting a diagram. My own wording of the question might even have made it faulty for all I know), but there is no info about cluster orbitals in my course literature ("Quantum mechanics" by Robinett), and all the references I can find on Google are to advanced it seems, I can't find a basic explanation of what it is. I'm just curious :-)

Before (for the atoms we've studied) the rule has always been that if n=1 as in this case, the only allowed values for l is { 0, 1, ..., n-1 }, but in a 1d-construction it seems that n=1 and l=2. Confusing for me.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?