Engineering Major Change: Aircraft Focus - Ohio University

• Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input
In summary, the focus of the school you are looking at is important. The program you are looking at might also be a better fit if you are looking for aircraft-centric focus. Penn State might be a good option if you are looking for a school with more physics students.
Spectre32
Ok, Currently I'm enrolled in a phyics based major, at an Ohio university. I'm thinking about transfering in about a year or two to a engineering school. I love working with anything airplane related, and i have a natural nact for that stuff as well. I was looking at an AE program but they deal a lot with Rockets and that sort of thing. I was looking for something more airplane centeralized. Doing my own research i was able to see that perhaps Mech engineering or something like that would be perhaps a better route. What are your thoughts on this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The focus depends entirely on the school.

From what I gathered when I looked at the program, Georgia Tech focuses mainly on aircraft. The same applies to Embry Riddle.

University of Maryland (where I go) has two separate tracks, one for aeronautics, and one for space systems.

Which schools are you looking at in particular?

Well i got accepted to riddle, but i didn't go there cause I'm in ROTC and i had a way better shot at getting a scholarship from the ROTC people up here. I was thinking about case western, but i duuno. I have been to riddle and really liked it but I'm not sure how i would cope to being that far away from home. I'm from the pittsburgh area so, i was thinking about going to a local university there but they don't have aerospace. I'm not sure what i should do.

Have you looked at Penn State?

The program looks segmented into aero/astro to me. I could be wrong...

Yeah i know all about them, but i'd perfer to stay away from bigger state schools. IF anything I might just stay were i am, and then transfer to Case Western in a few years. I just didn't like the fact that were i am now, there is very few physics students. Help for phyiscs students is limited also. Like I'm the only one on my floor in a physics class. I want to be in an environment where there is a lot of people like me, so obtaing outside school help would be easier. Plus the way that my physics is structured is differnt. Like we have hardly any written Homework problems, yet we have this online mastering physics that pisses me off to no end. Plus it's suposed to help us, but it always ends up getting in the way. For instance i have a test comming up in 2 weeks. I have this mastering physics **** due that thursday night of the test. Now instead of devoding full power that day to the test, it ends up getting split between the online physics and then noraml studying.

What is the engineering major change at Ohio University?

The engineering major change at Ohio University refers to the shift in focus for the engineering program towards aircraft engineering.

Why is Ohio University making this change?

The change is being made to meet the growing demand for skilled aircraft engineers in the industry and to provide students with specialized training and opportunities in this field.

What specific changes will be made to the engineering program?

The engineering program will include new courses and curriculum focused on aircraft engineering, as well as opportunities for students to participate in research and internships in this field.

Will students in other engineering majors be affected by this change?

No, students in other engineering majors will not be affected by this change. They will still have access to the same courses and opportunities in their respective majors.

How will this change benefit students in the engineering program?

This change will provide students with a more specialized and in-demand skill set in the field of aircraft engineering, making them more competitive in the job market and better prepared for careers in this industry.