What Are Engaging Biology Quiz Questions for Laypersons?

In summary, the conversation is about finding interesting quiz questions related to biology for a diverse audience of recent college graduates. The questions should be simple enough for laypeople to understand but not too basic. Some online resources for biology quizzes are mentioned, including the Dutch National Science Quiz and various websites.
chingkui
Hi,
I am looking for some interesting (multiple choices type) quiz questions that are related to biology. The quiz participants include mostly recent college graduates of diverse background from biology to engineering to mathematics. The audience also come from diverse background. In general, they are almost all layperson. So, the quiz questions cannot be very difficult biology questions.
I have no idea what kind of question I can ask, does anyone have any interesting questions related to biological science that even layperson could understand (and interest to most people)?
What I am looking for are questions that are simple enough yet not stupid, and can be anything related to biology (history of it, biologists, simple medical facts, etc.)
As an example of what I am looking, I have a physical science question that (most) people could understand and find interesting:

Someone in Australia pulls the plug from a washing basin. The water drains from the basin, causing a whirl or eddy. In which direction does the water turn ?

a. Always clockwise, because of the Coriolis force.
b. Always counterclockwise, because of the Coriolis force.
c. Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise.

Anyone who can point to online resource is also very much appreciated. Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
If you are able to translate webpages, then the following might be of interest: http://www.nwo.nl/nwohome.nsf/pages/NWOP_5VGJ6V
It is the Dutch National Science Quiz, which is held on television every year. All the questions and answers of previous years are online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a question interesting for a quiz?

A question is considered interesting for a quiz if it challenges the participants and makes them think critically. It should also be relevant to the topic and contain a fun or surprising element.

2. How do you come up with creative quiz questions?

To come up with creative quiz questions, you can start by brainstorming ideas related to the topic. You can also take inspiration from current events, popular culture, or historical events. Additionally, incorporating visual aids or using wordplay can make the question more creative.

3. How many questions should be included in a quiz?

The number of questions in a quiz can vary depending on the length of the quiz and the time available. Generally, a quiz can have anywhere from 10-30 questions. It is important to consider the attention span of the participants and keep the quiz engaging by not making it too long.

4. What are some tips for writing good quiz questions?

Some tips for writing good quiz questions include keeping the questions clear and concise, avoiding ambiguous or misleading language, and making sure the questions are relevant to the topic. It is also important to have a good balance of easy, medium, and difficult questions to keep the participants engaged.

5. How do you make sure the quiz questions are not too easy or too difficult?

To ensure that the quiz questions are neither too easy nor too difficult, you can test them out on a small group of people before using them in the actual quiz. This will help you gauge the level of difficulty and make any necessary adjustments. You can also include different types of questions such as multiple choice, true or false, or fill in the blank to prevent the quiz from becoming too predictable.