1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for knowledge.

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    Okay i am not a physics master. I'm in honors high school physics with a C. But physics is just so interesting. I just wish I was better at it. I'm always making stupid mistakes on tests
    I am really interested in learning about the wierd things in physics.
    Like tachyons, string theory, shrodingers equation, what happens at the speed of light,EDIT: oh yeah cant forget wormholes, black holes, and superdense star material ,quantum tunnelling, relativity, redshifts, time travel (i know its not possible), and well you get the jist of it. I wanna know about all the cool things about physics. I was wondering if someone could point me towards a book that would be able to explain it so someone with my knowledge would understand it. I have allready read about half of The Physics of Superheros which is a great book, and want to learn more. My teacher says I don't have a high enough grade to go to AP so I have to learn this myself.
    I'd rather not have to spend countless hours on the net trying to find stuff (mainly cause my internet usage is limited). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

PS: also why do people say light can't be slowed down but it travels slower through certain things?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Yes I agree that physics is interesting. But a lot of those things you listed require high levels of mathematical sophistication and is beyond the ordinary high school student. String theory isnt touched by most physics students until grad school. For now I think you better slow down a little and get well grounded in the basic concepts and mathematics.

The photons do not slow down. It is the group velocity that changes as light moves between different mediums.
  4. Feb 3, 2007 #3
    So any book recommendations?
  5. Feb 4, 2007 #4
    Try these if you can find them:

Mathematics and The Physical World, by Morris Kline.
    Gravity, Black Holes and the Universe, by Ian Nicolson
    Coming of Age In The Milky Way, by Timothy Ferris
    A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking
    Einstein's Universe, by Nigel Calder
    The Meaniing of Relativity, by A. Einstein
    The New Gravitation, by H. Arthur Klein
    Gravitation, by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler
    Relativity, The Special and the General Theory, by Albert Einstein
    Was Einstein Right? by Clifford Will
    The Emperors New Mind, by Rioger Penrose
    Newton's Gift, by David Berlinski
    Aristotle, Galileo and the Tower of Pisa, by Lane Cooper.
    Introduction to Modern Physics, by Elmer E. Anderson

6. Feb 4, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the list i will be sure to check them out.
  7. Feb 4, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

If you're interested in black holes and wormholes, I also recommend "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. And on string theory, you could look at "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.
  8. Jun 15, 2010 #7
    check out the Teaching Company (TTC) courses, theyre videos but great collage teachers just teaching what they know. half the time i dont even listen, but i pick up the interesting things from all subjects between galaxies and atoms.

I download them from TPB.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?