Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Language Partner!

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    Come ye, Come ye. Hear me, hear me!

I am looking for a language partner, mainly in any of the following languages:
    Japanese
    Chinese
    English*
    French
    German

If you know the language or you just wanna learn them, if you know any online forums on which I can learn these languages. Please, Please! send me a link in the pm, I am trying to immerse myself inside of the language and possibly get some ideas on how the cultures work. :)

Again, Thank you in far advance :)

Your Friendly Neuronaut,
    Noodle D.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2
    Try Memrise.com and the Mit ocw. I found an open source application for japanese just yesterday:
    http://zkanji.sourceforge.net/
    But right now kanji continues to elude me and I now don't have anymore extra time to pursue it. No idea about forums though.

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3
    P.S. Fish???

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4
    Thank you so much! and what do you mean Fish o.o' what is that? a code word or something

6. Jan 26, 2014 #5
    This:

7. Jan 26, 2014 #6
    ! I forgot about that thread do you think you could give me a link to it >///<

I like rainbow fishes... childhood memories Q~Q

but o.o' I gotta try that some time! it looks epic!!

8. Jan 26, 2014 #7
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=734843
    You can find threads you have participated in My PF tab on the top of the page and you can also find the place a post is quoted from if you click on the arrow button next to the name of the author in the post.

9. Jan 26, 2014 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

First hint "wanna" and "gotta" are not acceptable words in English, it's terrible slang. Please do not use them on this forum.

May I ask what your native language is?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. Jan 27, 2014 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Hmm... "WannabeNewton" might "wanna" say a few words about that. :rofl:

11. Jan 27, 2014 #10
    How are you going to practice your pronounciation? You might be able to read/write those languages, but you'll never be able to speak them or be understood if you learn them soley online.

12. Jan 27, 2014 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He has a Hall Pass.

13. Jan 27, 2014 #12
    What are japanese anime for?
    :tongue:
    Okay, memrise has verbal as well as visual cues, though granted they may not be enough.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  14. Jan 27, 2014 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Ah. That changes everything.

15. Jan 27, 2014 #14
    That is true, but there is always internet dictionaries :)

How do I get thise "Hall Pass", Must I become shakespear? :3

Thanks for those, and indeed japanese anime is perfect for how to say things, mimic Yusuke Urameshi (lol)

16. Jan 27, 2014 #15
    I don t recommend learning Japanese from animes. Every single japanese person will go black belt karate on your sorry behind because of the way you are talking to them. Distinguish between formal and informal speech - anime is not good for that. It's kind of useful once you have got the basics down such as hiragana+katakana and watch anime with subtitles, but to outright learn from scratch from animes - do not suggest doing that.

17. Jan 27, 2014 #16
    I was joking and so was he. Let me guess, you haven't seen Yu YU Hakusho have you? The protagonist Uramashi curses a lot. http://yuyuhakusho.wikia.com/wiki/Yusuke_Urameshi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook