Where Can I Find a Physics Artist for My Popular Science Paper?

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is working on a popular science paper and is seeking a 'physics artist' who can visually express complex ideas, such as spacetime curvature. Suggestions are made to post flyers at local schools and colleges, or to search for digital artists on deviantART. It is noted that many amateur artists on deviantART produce professional level work and are open to commissions.
robousy
I'm working on a popular science paper and I'm looking for a 'physics artist' to help me express some of the ideas visually.

By 'physics artist' I mean the kind of artist who can make a drawing that helps someone understand spacetime curvature for example.

Can anyone recommend someone who could help?

Rich

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine many artists would jump at the chance of illustrating your work.Why not try posting flyers at your local schools colleges etc?

robousy said:
I'm working on a popular science paper and I'm looking for a 'physics artist' to help me express some of the ideas visually.

By 'physics artist' I mean the kind of artist who can make a drawing that helps someone understand spacetime curvature for example.

Can anyone recommend someone who could help?

Rich

Your best bet is going to be someone good at computer graphics. Some schools specialize in this, training students for computer animation and every variety of digital image manipulation.

If you don't have such a school near you I suggest you go to:

http://www.deviantart.com/

and search under digital art and its subcategories.

(DeviantART is not actually a site for deviant art. I have no idea why they called it that. It is a massive site for amateur artists to create a profile and display their work. A huge percentage of these "amateurs" actually produce amazingly professional level work. Most people there will do commissions.)

Great suggestions, thanks guys!

I have heard of deviant art actually, there is some really impressive stuff up there.

1. What is a physics artist?

A physics artist is someone who uses scientific principles and concepts to create or enhance artistic works. This can include anything from using mathematical equations to create visual patterns, to incorporating physics-based movements into dance performances.

2. Why is there a need for physics artists?

Physics artists are important because they bridge the gap between science and art. They help to make complex scientific concepts more accessible and understandable to the general public through creative and engaging mediums. Additionally, they bring a unique perspective to both fields and can inspire collaboration and innovation.

3. What skills are needed to become a physics artist?

To become a physics artist, one needs a strong understanding of both physics and art. This may involve a formal education in both fields or self-study. Other important skills include creativity, critical thinking, and the ability to communicate complex ideas in a visually appealing way.

4. What types of art can be classified as physics art?

There are many different types of art that can be considered physics art. Some examples include kinetic sculptures, light and sound installations, data visualization, and mathematical art. However, any form of art that incorporates scientific concepts or principles can be considered physics art.

5. How can I incorporate physics into my own art?

There are many ways to incorporate physics into art. One approach is to start by exploring concepts that interest you and finding ways to represent them visually. You can also experiment with different materials and techniques to create unique effects or movements. It can also be helpful to collaborate with other artists or scientists to gain new perspectives and ideas.