Free Books & Lectures on Special Theory of Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses various resources for learning and practicing special theory of relativity, with a focus on books with problems and solutions. The recommended books include Taylor and Wheeler, Lightman, Blennow, and Tsamparlis. These resources are suggested by the user @Orodruin, who also mentions their own book on the topic.
anm_ol
I recently viewed some online free lecture series on Special theory of Relativity.
I think I have an understanding of the basics so far, but would like some books for problems on special relativity. (Preferably solutions or at least answer keys included).
It would be a great help if they available for free online too!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes anm_ol, Demystifier, Orodruin and 2 others
Frabjous said:
By our very own @Orodruin :smile:

Here's the TOC for the SR portion of the book (using the Amazon "Look Inside" feature):

1667318784411.png

Likes anm_ol and vanhees71
On a serious note though. The entire point of our book is to provide a substantial set of relativity problems with detailed solutions. Hopefully we managed.

Likes vanhees71
Frabjous said:
Taylor and Wheeler is a great introduction. The red cover version of Taylor and Wheeler (not the free second edition that I am linking to) has complete solutions
https://www.eftaylor.com/spacetimephysics/

Books with many problems and solutions
Lightman
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691177783/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Blennow
https://www.amazon.com/dp/100901773X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Tsamparlis
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGEQIHG/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Thanks I will check these out.

[Mentor Note -- copyright violation comment redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. Are there any free books available on the Special Theory of Relativity?

Yes, there are many free books available on the Special Theory of Relativity. Some popular options include "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, "Special Relativity" by David Morin, and "Understanding Einstein's Theories of Relativity" by Stan Gibilisco. These books can be found online through various websites and digital libraries.

3. Are there any free lectures available on the Special Theory of Relativity?

Yes, there are many free lectures available on the Special Theory of Relativity. Some universities and institutions offer online courses or recorded lectures on the subject, such as MIT's OpenCourseWare and Stanford's Online Physics Lectures. Additionally, many YouTube channels and educational websites also offer free lectures on the topic.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand the Special Theory of Relativity?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding the Special Theory of Relativity, it is not necessary. Many books and lectures on the subject are written in a way that is accessible to those without a strong physics background. However, a basic understanding of concepts such as motion, time, and energy can aid in comprehending the theory.

5. How can understanding the Special Theory of Relativity benefit me?

Understanding the Special Theory of Relativity can benefit you in several ways. It can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy. It can also help you understand and appreciate some of the most significant scientific advancements in history. Additionally, the concepts and principles of the theory can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and GPS technology.