1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Physics textbooks

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have a background in 3D graphics programming. Presently I am attempting to create a soft body simulation. The simulation only needs the appearance of realism, scientific grade accuracy is not necessary.

I would like to base the surface deformation function on factors like elasticity/plasticity, tensile/compressive strength, surface tension, effect of thermal changes, etc. However I lack the requisite understanding of physics to achieve that outcome.

As such I am looking for textbooks that explain these concepts and demonstrate practical application of the related equations. I am guessing I need to study thermodynamics? I have a strong mathematics background so I should have no problem with any calculus etc that may be required.

I am specifically looking for books rather than online tutorials or paid courses. If anyone knows of some good textbooks that could give me a basic working understanding of those concepts I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2
    I think you have to study some Solid Physics or Material Science I have a good reference for you

Walford's Guide to Reference Material: Science and Technology

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    OK thanks I'll take a look

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook