Researching Gold Thin Films: Electrical & Optical Properties

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for resources on gold thin films for their senior seminar project. They are specifically interested in the electrical and optical properties of these films, but are having trouble finding specific information. They have reached out to various sources for help but have not had much success. The conversation also mentions the use of gold thin films in biosensors and the discovery of the nucleus by Rutherford using these films.
Selectron09
Hi Physics folks,I am currently collecting resources for my senior seminar project at my university and would like to ask if anyone has any good references for gold thin films. I am planning on focusing primarily on the electrical and optical properties of gold thin films. I appreciate any suggestions that you might be able to provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not seem to be getting any response here. Try posting in Materials and Chemical Eng subforum

I think part of the problem is that the subject matter lacks definition. I want to write about gold...thin gold...where should I look? Electrical and optical properties is pretty loose. You need some specificity. Anyone you can talk to?

Likes Lord Jestocost
Hi Hutch, I did do thin film research last summer with an REU, and asked my mentor there and was able to secure some resources. I also have a mentor on campus but he hasn't been very helpful in narrowing my search, which is probably why I'm trying to reach out wherever I can to stake out some resources to start with to begin narrowing. I appreciate your suggestion!

Likes hutchphd
What is it you wish to do? Describe the details of what is expected of you and what you would like to learn inthe process. (How much? how long? originality?) Smaller, well defined efforts usually work best. Thin film gold for instance is used in myriad biosensors. Rutherford discovered the nucleus using gold films.! Where is your interest?

1. What is the purpose of researching gold thin films?

The purpose of researching gold thin films is to understand their electrical and optical properties, which can have various practical applications in fields such as electronics, optics, and materials science. Gold is a highly conductive and reflective material, making it a valuable material for developing advanced technologies.

2. How are gold thin films typically produced?

Gold thin films are typically produced through a process known as physical vapor deposition, where gold atoms are evaporated and deposited onto a substrate under vacuum conditions. This results in a thin layer of gold with controlled thickness and uniformity.

3. What are the electrical properties of gold thin films?

Gold thin films have excellent electrical conductivity, with a resistivity of approximately 2.44 x 10^-8 ohm-meters. This makes them ideal for use in electronic components such as interconnects, electrodes, and contacts.

4. What are the optical properties of gold thin films?

Gold thin films have unique optical properties, including high reflectivity in the visible and near-infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. They also exhibit a phenomenon known as surface plasmon resonance, which can be harnessed for applications such as sensing and imaging.

5. What are some potential applications of gold thin films?

Gold thin films have a wide range of potential applications, including in electronics, optics, biomedical devices, and energy harvesting. They can be used as conductive coatings, reflective layers, and components in sensors, solar cells, and displays. Additionally, their biocompatibility makes them suitable for use in medical implants and drug delivery systems.