Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for the equations of hypertori

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1

Homework Helper

I'm looking for the equations of hypertori (e.g. n-dimensional tori). By equations I'm mean explicit, implicit, or parametric equations that represent hypertori (please, no :devil: topological glue-ing :devil: in the construction!), and by hypertori I mean the family of surfaces obtained by generalizing the usual, doughnut-looking torus (e.g., a 3-d torus, a 2-torus embedded in 3-space) to [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex] . Example:

Hyperellipsoid: set of all points [tex]\left( x_{1},x_{2},...,x_{n} \right) \in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex] such that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \left( \frac{x_{k}}{a_{k}}\right)^{2}=1, a_{K}\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2
    The standard n-torus is the set of points of the form (x1, ..., xn,y1,...,yn) that satisfy the equation (x12 + y12 - 1, ..., xn2 + yn2 - 1) = 0.
    Note that the 2-torus is properly a submanifold of R4, but is commonly parameterized as a submanifold of R3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?