Finding Time and Distance in a Lion-Monkey Chase

• Thread starter Juan42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I got the answer finally.In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use both the lion and monkey's information to create position equations with respect to time. These equations should intersect at some point, which will give you the time and position when the lion catches up with the monkey.
Juan42

Homework Statement

A monkey first notices a lion attacking when the lion is 12.5 m away and moving toward the monkey at a speed of 5 m/s. The monkey begins to accelerate away from the lion at 3 m/(s^2) and the lion simultaneously begins to accelerate at 2 m/(s^2). (a) How long does the monkey's escape last? (b) How far has the monkey traveled when the lion catches up with it? Answers: (a) 5 seconds; (b) 37.5 m

Homework Equations

(1) V = at + Vo
(2) V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried finding the time using the lion's information. I used (2), but I only accounted for the distance that lion traveled until it got to monkey's inital position before the monkey noticed and tried to escape the lion. I just got the answers I started with. I can't seem to know where exactly to start to find the answer that the instructor gave me. I was wondering if I could get some help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Juan42 said:

Homework Statement

A monkey first notices a lion attacking when the lion is 12.5 m away and moving toward the monkey at a speed of 5 m/s. The monkey begins to accelerate away from the lion at 3 m/(s^2) and the lion simultaneously begins to accelerate at 2 m/(s^2). (a) How long does the monkey's escape last? (b) How far has the monkey traveled when the lion catches up with it? Answers: (a) 5 seconds; (b) 37.5 m

Homework Equations

(1) V = at + Vo
(2) V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried finding the time using the lion's information. I used (2), but I only accounted for the distance that lion traveled until it got to monkey's inital position before the monkey noticed and tried to escape the lion. I just got the answers I started with. I can't seem to know where exactly to start to find the answer that the instructor gave me. I was wondering if I could get some help with this.

Hi Juan42, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll need to use both sets of information (lion and monkey) to solve the problem. The information for the lion will let you write an equation for its position with respect to time, and the information for the monkey will let you do the same for the monkey. Be sure to write the equations with respect to a common coordinate system (that is, pay attention to the initial position difference between the lion and monkey).

The two position equations should intersect (have the same position value) for at least one value of time.

It took me a sec to think it over, but I understand what you mean by putting them on the same axis. Anyway, thanks.

1. What is the concept of "time and distance" in science?

The concept of "time and distance" in science refers to the measurement of the duration it takes for an object to travel a certain distance. This is known as velocity, which is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How is time and distance related to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, suggests that time and distance are not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that time and distance are relative to the observer's perspective and can be affected by factors such as gravity and speed.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed using time and distance?

The formula for calculating speed is: speed (m/s) = distance (m) / time (s). This formula can also be rearranged to calculate distance or time by multiplying the other two variables and dividing by the remaining variable.

4. How do scientists measure time and distance in their experiments?

Scientists measure time and distance using various tools and techniques such as stopwatches, rulers, and GPS devices. They also use mathematical formulas and equations to calculate and analyze the data collected from their experiments.

5. Why is understanding time and distance important in scientific research?

Understanding time and distance is crucial in scientific research as it helps to accurately measure and analyze the behavior and properties of objects in motion. This information is essential for developing theories and models to explain natural phenomena and make predictions about future events.