Early Universe: Closer Galaxies, Big Bang Visibility?

• Thread starter binbots
  • Start date
In summary, when looking back into the early universe, the galaxies appear to be closer together due to the universe being more compact. It is not possible to see the big bang itself, but after the universe became transparent, it would be visible in all directions as a brightly illuminated fog. A neutrino telescope or gravitational wave telescope could potentially allow us to see closer to the big bang. It is also true that every observer in the universe sees the past in every direction and has the illusion of being at the center of the universe. Time flows out from the observer, while light travels to them, causing everything they see to be in the past.
binbots
When we look back into the early universe do the galaxies appear to be closer together? My logic is that the closer we go back to the big bang the more compact everything would be. I also would like to know if it was possible to see the big bang (I am aware it is not possible) would be see it in every direction we look?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
binbots said:
When we look back into the early universe do the galaxies appear to be closer together?
Yes.
I also would like to know if it was possible to see the big bang (I am aware it is not possible) would be see it in every direction we look?
The universe was not transparent until 380,000 years after the big bang, so like being inside a fog, you could only see what is right in front of you. After the universe became transparent, you'd still be able to see this brightly illuminated fog in all directions, but it would move away from you as the universe expanded, getting more and more red-shifted until today it would just be dim radio waves... aka the CMB.

A neutrino telescope would allow you to look back very close to the big bang. They are, however, highly impractical. A gravitational wave telescope is an entirely different matter. We have one up and running [LIGO] and another in the works [LISA].

So if we could we would see the big bang in every direction? The same event happening every in the universe. Hard to wrap your head around.

binbots said:
So if we could we would see the big bang in every direction? The same event happening every in the universe. Hard to wrap your head around.

That would make sense considering it was all originating from one point and exploded outwards in a spherical movement. But, to actually see the big bang would in fact be impossible, as it is the edge of a rapidly expanding universe. You would have to be relatively near to the edge, which would expand quicker than you could travel towards it.

We already are at the edge.

Chronos said:
We already are at the edge.

An edge defines a point in which a dimensional change occurs. To say we were at an edge of the universe would be a ridiculous claim to make, as we can see other objects away from the Earth at a full 360 degrees. We might be, as some have claimed if you travel through the universe in one direction, you might end up back where you started, but it would be nigh on impossible to prove.

Permit me to clariy, we are at the temporal edge of the universe - the most ancient observable region. We see the past in every direction.

Chronos said:
Permit me to clariy, we are at the temporal edge of the universe - the most ancient observable region. We see the past in every direction.

Isn't that true at any other point in the universe? Even on Earth we are looking very slightly in the past when we see with our eyes. Wouldn't your comment imply that we are close the "point" the big bang occured? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Last edited:
It is true every other observer in the universe sees the past in every direction. It is also true every other observer in the universe has the illusion they are virtually at its center.

So can one say that I (observer) am the only thing that is present and the further something is away from me the further back in time it is? Time flows out of me while light travels to me?

Not sure about the time flow thing, but, yes, everything you see is as it was in your past due to the finite speed of light. Most of the photons we currenty receive from galaxies at z~1 were emitted by stars that have since 'died'.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as an extremely hot and dense point, known as a singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How do we know about the early universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and methods to study the early universe, such as telescopes, satellites, and mathematical models. By analyzing the light from distant galaxies and studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, we can gain insight into the early stages of the universe.

3. Why are closer galaxies important in understanding the early universe?

Closer galaxies provide a snapshot of the early universe because light takes time to travel from these galaxies to Earth. By studying these galaxies, we can observe how the universe looked in the past and gain a better understanding of its evolution.

4. How do we observe galaxies that are billions of light years away?

Scientists use powerful telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, to observe distant galaxies. They also use advanced technology, such as interferometry, to combine the power of multiple telescopes and create detailed images of these galaxies.

5. What are some recent discoveries about the early universe and closer galaxies?

Recent discoveries include the detection of gravitational waves, which provide evidence for the inflation theory of the early universe. Scientists have also observed the oldest and most distant galaxy known to date, which gives insight into how the first galaxies formed. Additionally, the study of closer galaxies has revealed new information about the composition and structure of the early universe.