1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking through glass

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    If light reflects from all surfaces, why is the view through a glass window not noticeably dimmer than the view with the window open?

Can someone give me som hint? I know glass has a refractive index of 1.5...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Mk

The glass does not absorb very much light, and does not reflect very much light.

A strawberry absorbs wavelength's other than red. That is why it looks red to you.

A black object absorbs most of the light that comes at it, so it looks black.

4. Feb 1, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ordinary glass DOES absorbs light, espeically in the UV range. We pay a lot of money to get quartz and fused silica to let UV light passes through. There's no material that I know off that lets light of all frequency to pass through.

Zz.

5. Feb 1, 2006 #4
    this is fresnel relaction, as you can see the percent of reflection is very small.

[tex]R=(\frac{n_1-n_0}{n_1+n_0})^2[/tex]

but this is just the classical vies of things, (its pretty accurate, but feyman got it better)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  6. Feb 1, 2006 #5
    It IS dimmer, just not necessarily "noticable" through "human" eyes. I know of no glass(or any substance for that matter) that transmits light with no loss.

7. Feb 1, 2006 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Our eyes are logarithmic detectors - that is, they are capable of measuring light intensities over many orders of magnitude. As such, a 4% change in intensity (typical for air-glass reflection) is not readily apparent to the naked eye, as it would be for a linear detector such as a photodiode.

Claude.

8. Feb 1, 2006 #7
    I guess that's why I can't get a tan through the window...:tongue2:

9. Feb 2, 2006 #8
    Why would we want glass to transmit UV?
    Don't we want to protect ourselves from UV radiation? (it may cause sunburn! :redface:)

10. Feb 2, 2006 #9

Mk

11. Feb 2, 2006 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have a laser that is in the UV range. But my experiment is done in ultra-high vacuum. I'll give you ONE guess on why I would need a fused silica window somewhere on my vacuum chamber.

Zz.

12. Feb 2, 2006 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The Newtonian telescope is based on the fact that glass does absorb light.

A Newtonian is different from other types of telescopes in that it uses mirrors rather than lenses. Every lens the light passes through costs you a fraction of precious, precious brightness, which is what astronomy is all about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook