What is the Best Software for Virtual Wind Tunnel and CFD Analysis?

In summary, the report "NACA 1135: Supersonic Gas Dynamics" covers conical shock formation. All you need to know is 2 of the 3 variables- cone half angle and shock angle. The report also has it for oblique shocks. If you only need shock angle and downstream properties, the report will work. If you want more advanced analysis, you might need something numerical.
vincentryan
HI
i am looking some virtual windtunnel software that there i have to desgin a various nose cone and i have to find the shock wave formation at supersonic speed
please some one help me to find the virtual windtunnel and CFD software

regards
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
CFD in general 'is' kind of a "virtual windtunnel." However, unless you have scholastic access to some, typically a single user won't be able to afford one. I thought I heard of an open-source one a while back, openFOAM or something like that, but have no idea of anything about it and couldn't say a thing to save my life.

However, for practice, it wouldn't be that hard to write a quasi-2D solver for the Euler equations. That's something that we did in my CFDII class a while back. It was a full internal flow, so I'm not real sure how hard it would be to convert the equations for an external flow, but it would be doable.

I don't think I have the equations anymore, but they should be available somewhere. The only odd term was the A(x) term which I believe was multiplied by a derivative term.

hi thanks for your reply, can u suggest some CFD books and website for my further reference

CFD books are typically the theory and development behind the solvers. I personally have "Computational Fluid Dynamics" by Tannehill,Anderson, and Pletcher.

Try this as well:
http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/Fluid_dynamics

vincentryan said:
HI
i am looking some virtual windtunnel software that there i have to desgin a various nose cone and i have to find the shock wave formation at supersonic speed
please some one help me to find the virtual windtunnel and CFD software

regards
Ryan

the NACA 1135 report covers supersonic gas dynamics. there's a table on conical shock formation. essentially all you need to know is 2 of the three to find the third: cone half angle, shock angle, and mach number. the report also has it for oblique shocks.

could probably do 90% if not all of your work with that report

That analysis IIRC is for simple wedges and cones. If you're just looking for shock angle and downstream properties then it will work. If you're looking for more advanced analysis, you might need something numerical.

The 1135 is a great reference though.

minger said:
That analysis IIRC is for simple wedges and cones. If you're just looking for shock angle and downstream properties then it will work. If you're looking for more advanced analysis, you might need something numerical.

The 1135 is a great reference though.

yup. just for simple wedges and cones. however, lots of problems can be simplified to simple wedges and cones. depending on the OP's exact problem, a rocket maybe, you can find pressure, density, temp, speed behind the shock.

its just missing the pretty CFD pictures...

1. What is a wind tunnel software?

A wind tunnel software is a computer program that can simulate and analyze the flow of air around an object or through a system. It uses complex mathematical equations and algorithms to predict the aerodynamic behavior of the object or system.

2. How does a wind tunnel software work?

A wind tunnel software works by dividing the object or system into smaller elements and then calculating the forces and pressures acting on each element. These calculations are based on fluid dynamics, boundary conditions, and other physical parameters. The software then combines all the results to produce a visual representation of the airflow and pressure distribution.

3. What are the benefits of using a wind tunnel software?

Using a wind tunnel software can save time and resources compared to physical wind tunnel testing. It also allows for a more detailed analysis of the aerodynamics, which can lead to more accurate design improvements. Additionally, the software can simulate extreme conditions that are difficult to replicate in a physical wind tunnel.

4. Are there different types of wind tunnel software?

Yes, there are different types of wind tunnel software, each with its own features and capabilities. Some are designed for specific industries or applications, such as aerospace or automotive design. Others may have advanced features for complex simulations or user-friendly interfaces for beginners.

5. Can a wind tunnel software be used for other purposes?

Yes, in addition to aerodynamic analysis, a wind tunnel software can also be used for other purposes such as studying heat transfer, fluid flow in pipes, and climate control in buildings. It can also be applied to various industries, including architecture, sports, and environmental engineering.