Calculating Current and Torque in a Rectangular Loop

In summary, a rectangular loop with 260 turns and dimensions of 33 cm by 17 cm has a maximum torque of 24 Nm in a magnetic field of 0.49 T. This can be calculated using the equation t = NIABsinθ, where θ is equal to pi/2.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of 260 turns is 33 cm wide and 17 cm high.
What is the current in this loop if the maximum torque in a field of 0.49 T is 24 N m?

Homework Equations

torque (t) = NIABsintheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not actually sure if this is even the correct equation. It was the closest one I could find with most of the variables. If it is the correct one, how do you find sin? Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque is maximum when theta is pi/2.

i have no idea what that means

matt72lsu said:
i have no idea what that means
The torque is maximum when theta is pi/2. So that sin(pi/2) = 1.

oh ok. thanks

1. What is a loop current?

A loop current is an electrical current that flows in a closed loop or circuit. It is essential for the functioning of many electronic devices and is measured in amperes (A).

2. How is loop current related to torque?

Loop current and torque are related because loop current produces a magnetic field that creates a force on a magnetic object, resulting in rotational motion or torque. This is known as the motor principle.

3. How is loop current measured?

Loop current is typically measured using a current sensor, such as a multimeter, which measures the electrical current flowing through a circuit. The unit of measurement for loop current is amperes (A).

4. What factors can affect loop current?

The resistance of the circuit, the voltage supplied, and the number of turns in the loop can all affect the loop current. Additionally, the material and thickness of the wire used in the loop can also impact the loop current.

5. How can loop current be controlled?

Loop current can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or resistance in the circuit or by changing the number of turns in the loop. Additionally, using a current regulator or a variable resistor can also help control the loop current.