Loop Dreams Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is

In summary, the conversation discusses the harsh realities of pursuing a career in academic physics, highlighting the age and educational requirements for success. The speaker emphasizes that life in this field can be brutal and that even attending a top ten graduate school may not be enough to secure a professorship. Ultimately, the speaker acknowledges that becoming a professor in a highly ranked institution is only possible for the best of the best.
eNtRopY
Loop Dreams... Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is...

So, many people ask me if they have what it takes to make it in the world of academic physics. Here's my little survey for helping people find out if they have the right stuff.

How old are you?

If you answered >= 35, and you're not already a professional physicist, then forget it.

If you answered < 35 but >= 30, and you're not doing a post-doc at one of the top five research institutions in your chosen field of physics, then forget it.

If you answered < 30, and you don't attend, or haven't attended, or don't see foresee yourself going to one of the top ten graduate schools in physics by the time you're 30, then forget it.

Life is brutal.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

So, I suppose you've done some of the above ?
Good for you ! :wink:

Originally posted by eNtRopY
So, many people ask me if they have what it takes to make it in the world of academic physics. Here's my little survey for helping people find out if they have the right stuff.

How old are you?

If you answered >= 35, and you're not already a professional physicist, then forget it.

If you answered < 35 but >= 30, and you're not doing a post-doc at one of the top five research institutions in your chosen field of physics, then forget it.

If you answered < 30, and you don't attend (or haven't attended) one of the top ten graduate schools in physics, then forget it.

What happens if some one is <10 and not yet attending graduate school?

Originally posted by drag
So, I suppose you've done some of the above ?
Good for you ! :wink:

No, I'm not a physicist either. I am an engineering graduate student... and the institution I attend is only ranked at number 14 for the subject I am studying. Of course, I would like to be an engineering professor someday, but I realize that there is a high probability that this won't happen.

I mean I look at the professors of my school, and I see that they all went to schools like Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, and MIT. I believe there is a general, unofficial rule that a person can only be a professor at a school with an equal or lesser rating. But let's face it, the only people who are guarenteed to become professors are those who are considered the best of the best.

eNtRopY

1. What is Loop Quantum Gravity?

Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that space and time are made up of discrete, indivisible units called "loops." These loops interact with each other to form the fabric of the universe, and the gravitational force that we observe is a result of the interactions between these loops.

2. How does LQG differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

LQG differs from other theories of quantum gravity, such as string theory, in its approach to solving the problem of the incompatibility between general relativity and quantum mechanics. While string theory proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny one-dimensional strings, LQG suggests that the universe is made up of tiny loops. Additionally, LQG does not require extra dimensions or supersymmetry, which are essential components of string theory.

3. Can LQG be tested experimentally?

As a theoretical framework, LQG has not yet been fully developed enough to make specific predictions that can be tested with current technology. However, there are ongoing efforts to test some of the basic principles of LQG, such as the discreteness of space and time, through experiments in quantum optics and cosmology.

4. What are the potential implications of LQG for our understanding of the universe?

If LQG is proven to be a valid theory, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help us better understand the nature of space and time, the origin of the universe, and the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It could also potentially resolve some of the mysteries of black holes and the Big Bang.

5. Is LQG widely accepted by the scientific community?

Currently, LQG is still a developing and controversial theory, so it is not yet widely accepted by the scientific community. However, it has gained some support and interest from physicists and continues to be an active area of research. As more evidence and advancements are made, the acceptance of LQG may increase in the future.