Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop Dreams Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is

1. May 16, 2003 #1
    Loop Dreams... Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is....

So, many people ask me if they have what it takes to make it in the world of academic physics. Here's my little survey for helping people find out if they have the right stuff.

How old are you?

If you answered >= 35, and you're not already a professional physicist, then forget it.

If you answered < 35 but >= 30, and you're not doing a post-doc at one of the top five research institutions in your chosen field of physics, then forget it.

If you answered < 30, and you don't attend, or haven't attended, or don't see foresee yourself going to one of the top ten graduate schools in physics by the time you're 30, then forget it.

Life is brutal.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2003 #2

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Loop Dreams... Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is....

So, I suppose you've done some of the above ?
    Good for you ! :wink:

4. May 17, 2003 #3
    Re: Loop Dreams... Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is....

What happens if some one is <10 and not yet attending graduate school?

5. May 17, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Loop Dreams... Loop Quantum Gravity Dreams that is....

No, I'm not a physicist either. I am an engineering graduate student... and the institution I attend is only ranked at number 14 for the subject I am studying. Of course, I would like to be an engineering professor someday, but I realize that there is a high probability that this won't happen.

I mean I look at the professors of my school, and I see that they all went to schools like Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, and MIT. I believe there is a general, unofficial rule that a person can only be a professor at a school with an equal or lesser rating. But let's face it, the only people who are guarenteed to become professors are those who are considered the best of the best.

eNtRopY

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?