Understanding Conservation of Mechanical Energy in Loop Physics Homework

In summary, the discussion covers a problem involving a track with three hills and a car of mass "m" traveling at speed "v1." The speed at the top of hill B is also v1 and at the top of hill C it is 2v1. To determine the speed at each point, conservation of mechanical energy should be used. The average breaking force needed can be found by using the average acceleration calculated from the velocity at point D and E.
UrbanXrisis
This is really giving me trouble. The problem is on the following site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/index.mht

OKay, what I thought of was mgh=.5mv^2
so therefore g(5r/2)=.5v^2

I'm not sure how to connect it all to a=v^2/r

any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(Probably by the time I'm done writing this someone would have linked you to a post that already explains this problem, but what the hell!)

At the top of the loop, the centripetal force is the combination of two forces - the normal force and the weight of the object. For the circular motion to continue, this condition must be met:

[tex]F_c = N + mg = ma_c = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]a_c = \frac{N}{m} + g = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

The lower we drop the object from, the lower it velocity will be when it reaches the top of the loop. However, it has a minimal value below which the object will simply fall of the track. As you can see in the formula above, the minimum value of the centripetal acceleration at the top is g, in which case there is normal force. Therefore the minimal velocity at the top is:

[tex]ma_c = mg = m\frac{v_{min}^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]v_{min}^2 = gr[/tex]

That's the speed of the object at 2r above the ground. Thanks to conservation of energy we see that:

[tex]\Delta E_p + \Delta E_k = (2mgr - mgh) + (\frac{1}{2}mv_{min}^2 - 0) = 0[/tex]

[tex]4gr - 2gh + v_{min}^2 = 0[/tex]

Now just substitute vmin2 and solve for h. :smile:

Thanks, that explains a lot! I have a new question:

There is a frictionless track with 3 hills. Hill “A” is “h” in height, following hill “A” is the second hill, hill “B” that is also “h” in height. The third hill following hill “B” is hill “C” which is h/2 in height. Hill C slants to the flat ground labeled D and E. There is a car of mass “m” that is currently on the top of hill “A” traveling with speed “v1.”

1.The speed at the top of hill B would be v1 as well correct? But how would I determine it with equations? Mgh=mgh=.5mv^2?

2.The speed at the top of hill C would be two times v1 right? If this is true, how would I determine it with equations? mgh=.2mv^2 …then mgh/2=.2mv^2 so you have to multiply 2 to the velocity?

3.When the car reaches point D and E, the momentum would be 2mv1 correct? If I got 2v1 from question #2, then I sub it in with p=mv=2mv1?

4.To determine the average breaking force “F” needed to stop the car “d” distance would be W=Fd so F=W/d=.5m(2v1)^2/d?

Questions can be better observed on:

http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/pics02.jpg

thanks

UrbanXrisis said:
This is really giving me trouble. The problem is on the following site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/index.mht

OKay, what I thought of was mgh=.5mv^2
so therefore g(5r/2)=.5v^2

I'm not sure how to connect it all to a=v^2/r

any ideas?

Funny, I just did this problem. Here is the link https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=27932.
You can also browse down in the forums section and look for a thread with the title: Roller Coaster Problem.

e(ho0n3

UrbanXrisis said:
1.The speed at the top of hill B would be v1 as well correct? But how would I determine it with equations? Mgh=mgh=.5mv^2?

2.The speed at the top of hill C would be two times v1 right? If this is true, how would I determine it with equations? mgh=.2mv^2 …then mgh/2=.2mv^2 so you have to multiply 2 to the velocity?

3.When the car reaches point D and E, the momentum would be 2mv1 correct? If I got 2v1 from question #2, then I sub it in with p=mv=2mv1?

4.To determine the average breaking force “F” needed to stop the car “d” distance would be W=Fd so F=W/d=.5m(2v1)^2/d?

Seems you are applying the laws incorrectly. Use conservation of mechanical energy properly and you'll get the answers. As for problem 4, you don't need to use work to find the force. You can just use the velocity calculated in problem 3 to find the average acceleration which will give you your average force.

1. What is loop physics?

Loop physics is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the properties and behavior of loops, which are one-dimensional objects with no thickness or width.

2. How does loop physics relate to other areas of physics?

Loop physics is closely related to other areas of theoretical physics, such as quantum gravity, string theory, and cosmology. It also has connections to condensed matter physics and high-energy particle physics.

3. What are some real-world applications of loop physics?

Loop physics is still a developing field, so practical applications are limited. However, it has potential applications in understanding the behavior of black holes, the early universe, and the fundamental nature of space and time.

4. What are some challenges in studying loop physics?

One of the main challenges in studying loop physics is the lack of experimental evidence and the difficulty in testing theoretical predictions. Another challenge is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved in describing the behavior of loops.

5. What are some famous theories in loop physics?

One of the most well-known theories in loop physics is loop quantum gravity, which proposes a quantum description of spacetime. Another famous theory is the theory of cosmic inflation, which suggests that the universe underwent a rapid expansion in its early stages due to the properties of loops.