Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Loop predicament in Java

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    ..so, we have been assigned a homework to print a certain ASCII art using only loops and methods. We can also use the built-in math methods such as the exponential one and whatnot.

Basically, we have been asked to print an increasing loop that goes as follows:
    Code (Text):
    ..and so on, so forth. Notice how the stars increase by 2 then by 4, then by 2 then by 4. The sequence in which the stars are increasing within is 2,4,2,4,2,4,2,4...I managed to find the series for that: 3 + (-1)^n or 2 + 2 * (n % 2) where n >= 1.

Is there a way to use that in a loop? I'm slightly bewildered at the moment as this problem overwhelms my basic understanding on loops.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure about how the numbers of asterisks in a line increase? It would make more sense to me and would make a nicer pattern if they increased by 2 each line.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    Unfortunately, this is how our instructor assigned us to do. I tried like everything, but no avail. This is just a fraction of a larger program that prints my country's flag.

Is there a way to do that?

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The counting loop would look something like this.

Code (Text):

for (int i = 0; i < ROW_LIMIT; i++}
    {
       starCount = 2*i + 1;
       // The if block skips 5, 11, 17, 23, etc.
       if (starCount % 3 == 2)
       {
          continue;
       }
       // Code to calculate the number of spaces to print, and print starCount asterisks
    }

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook