1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop Question

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1
    Question: A small object of mass m slides without friction around a loop-the-loop aparatus. It starts from rest at point A, at height h above the bottom of the loop.......What is the minimum value of h (in terms of R [the radius of the loop] such that the object moves around the loop without falling off at the loop's highest point, B.

The solution to this question is probably a very simple one...I'm familar with similar problems concerning potential/kinetic energy, but one point confuses me...I'm not sure what the requirement is for the block to not fall off.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

The object would not fall off if, at the highest point z=(2*R), the centripetal force required to remain in circular motion is greater than or equal to the object's weight. That is:
    mv2/R = mg ::: (minimum requirement at highest point)
    ::: ⇒ v2 = {g*R} ::: Eq #1
    By conservation of energy, if the object begins from rest at height z=h, then at height z=(2*R):
    m*g*h = m*g*(2*R) + (1/2)*m*v2
    Using Eq #1 above for (v2), we get:
    m*g*h = m*g*(2*R) + (1/2)*m*{g*R}
    ::: ⇒ h = (5/2)*R

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?