Loop the Loop Problem Solution | N > 0, Energy Conservation Method

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a physics problem involving a ball moving around a loop with the minimum speed required to stay on the track. The solution involves using energy conservation and calculating the value of ##N##, the normal force, to determine if the ball will maintain contact with the track. The distinction between ##N > 0## and ##N \ge 0## is irrelevant in terms of physics, but from a mathematical perspective, the correct statement is that at ##N < 0## the ball has lost contact with the track.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1683674020881.png

The solution is,
1683674075941.png

Does someone please know why ##N > 0##. I though at the min speed to still go around the loop, we could set ##N = 0## and ##mg## provides the centripetal force.

Also, I am wondering how to do this problem with using energy conservation.

My working is
## N + mg = \frac{mv^2}{R}##
##mgy_1 = mgy_2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##mgy_1 = 2mgR + \frac{R(N + mg)}{2}##
##y_1 = 2R + \frac{R(N + mg)}{2mg}##
##y_1 = R(\frac{N}{2mg} + \frac{5}{2})##

However, I am not to sure how to go from here. If I assume that ##N = 0## I get ##y_1 = \frac{5R}{2}## so any height greater than or equal to ##y_1## the object should loop the loop?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Does someone please know why ##N > 0##. I though at the min speed to still go around the loop, we could set ##N = 0## and ##mg## provides the centripetal force.
What happens to ##N## if we start at higher than ##y = \frac{5R}{2}##?

If you are just asking about the criterion ##N>0##, because at ##N=0## it has lost contact with the track.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Also, I am wondering how to do this problem without using energy conservation.

My working is
## N + mg = \frac{mv^2}{R}##
##\color{red}{mgy_1 = mgy_2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2}##
##mgy_1 = 2mgR + \frac{R(N + mg)}{2}##
##y_1 = 2R + \frac{R(N + mg)}{2mg}##
##y_1 = R(\frac{N}{2mg} + \frac{5}{2})##

However, I am not to sure how to go from here. If I assume that ##N = 0## I get ##y_1 = \frac{5R}{2}## so any height greater than or equal to ##y_1## the object should loop the loop?

Many thanks!
If you want to solve the problem without using energy conservation, you cannot use the equation in red which expresses energy conservation. You have to solve Newton's second law equation for the trajectory. I don;t think it can be done analytically. That is why you use energy conservation.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you for your replies @erobz and @kuruman!

Yes sorry there was a typo in the Post #1. I was asking how to solve this problem using energy conservation.

Many thanks!

The solution that you posted uses energy conservation (first equation). Take a good look at it.

Likes erobz and ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
What happens to ##N## if we start at higher than ##y = \frac{5R}{2}##?

If you are just asking about the criterion ##N>0##, because at ##N=0## it has lost contact with the track.
Thank you for your reply @erobz!

If we start a very small increment little higher than y_1 then ##N## could be ##0.00000001N##

Many thanks!

kuruman said:
The solution that you posted uses energy conservation (first equation). Take a good look at it.
True! Thank you @kuruman!

erobz said:
No experiment can distinguish reliably between ##N>0## and ##N \ge 0##. So as a question about physics, the distinctiont is irrelevant.

However, putting on my mathematician's hat, the correct statement is that at [calculated] ##N < 0## it has lost contact with the track. At ##N=0## the trajectory of the ball is neither accelerating into the track nor accelerating away from the track. It is maintaining zero separation. Zero separation is the criterion I would use for "in contact".

Likes ChiralSuperfields, SammyS and erobz
jbriggs444 said:
No experiment can distinguish reliably between ##N>0## and ##N \ge 0##. So as a question about physics, the distinctiont is irrelevant.

However, putting on my mathematician's hat, the correct statement is that at [calculated] ##N < 0## it has lost contact with the track. At ##N=0## the trajectory of the ball is neither accelerating into the track nor accelerating away from the track. It is maintaining zero separation. Zero separation is the criterion I would use for "in contact".
Thank you for your help @jbriggs444 ! That is very helpful!

1. What is the "Loop the Loop Problem"?

The "Loop the Loop Problem" is a physics problem that involves a small object, such as a ball, moving in a circular track and reaching a certain height before falling back down due to the force of gravity. The goal is to find the minimum initial velocity needed for the object to successfully complete the loop without falling off the track.

2. What does "N > 0" mean in the problem statement?

The "N > 0" in the problem statement refers to the number of times the object completes the loop. This means that the object must successfully complete the loop at least once in order for the problem to be solved.

3. What is the Energy Conservation Method used in solving this problem?

The Energy Conservation Method is a physics principle that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the "Loop the Loop Problem", this principle is used to calculate the initial velocity of the object based on its potential and kinetic energy at different points in the loop.

4. What are the key assumptions made in solving this problem?

There are a few key assumptions made in solving the "Loop the Loop Problem". These include assuming that the track is frictionless, the object is a point mass, and there is no air resistance. These assumptions help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Can this problem be solved using other methods besides Energy Conservation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve the "Loop the Loop Problem", such as using the equations of motion or using the concept of centripetal force. However, the Energy Conservation Method is often the most efficient and straightforward approach to solving this problem.