What is the Release Height for a Ball and Disk in a Loop-the-Loop Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy to determine the height at which a small spherical ball or disk must be released in order to make it around a loop-the-loop of a certain radius. The ratio of heights for the two cases is 1.15.
ruffrunnr
A small spherical ball of radius r = 1.7 cm rolls without slipping down a ramp and around a loop-the-loop of radius R = 3.1 m. The ball has mass M = 345 g.

How high above the top of the loop must it be released in order that the ball just makes it around the loop?

Repeat problem (a) for a disk. Find the ratio of the heights h for the two cases.

I used conservation of energy and set mgh = KE(rot) + KE(trans) + mg2R. Using V=sqrt(Rg), I found the minimum speed the ball must have at the top of the loop and found it to be 5.512 m/s. For the right side of the equation, I used KE(rot) = 1/2Iw(omega)^2. For a spherical ball, I =2/5MR^2.
Now I have
mgh = 1/2mv^2 +1/2(2/5)MR^2(w^2) + 2mgR
M's cancel
w = v/R
So I was left with
h = (1/2(v^2)+1/5(R^2)(v/R)^2 + 2gR)
----------------------------------
g
h = 8.37m
h-2R = H = 2.17m

That is the correct answer according the homework but then it asks for a disk with the same radius and here is where I don't get the right answer.

mgh = 1/2mv^2 +1/2Iw^2 + mg2R
mgh = 1/2mv^2 +1/2*1/2mR^2w^2 + mg2R
m's cancel

h = 1/2v^2 +1/4R^2(v/R)^2 +2gR
-----------------------------
g

Help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the disk, you can use the same equations as for the ball. The only difference is that for the disk, I = 1/2MR^2. So the equation becomes:h = (1/2(v^2)+1/4(R^2)(v/R)^2 + 2gR) ---------------------------------- gh = 7.25m h-2R = H = 1.05mThe ratio of heights h for the two cases is 8.37/7.25 = 1.15

I would first like to commend you on your use of conservation of energy to solve this problem. It is a great approach to solving problems involving motion and is a fundamental principle in physics.

Now, to address your question about the disk case, there are a few things to note. First, the moment of inertia for a disk is different from that of a sphere. For a disk, the moment of inertia is 1/2MR^2, which is why you see the difference in your equations.

Also, in your calculation for the disk, you have used the moment of inertia for a sphere instead of a disk. This is why you are not getting the correct answer. The correct equation should be:

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 * 1/2MR^2 * (v/R)^2 + mg2R

Now, solving for h, we get:

h = 1/2v^2 + 1/4R^2(v/R)^2 + 2gR

Simplifying this further, we get:

h = 7/4v^2 + 2gR

Using the same approach as before, we can calculate the minimum speed required for the disk to make it around the loop:

v = sqrt(Rg) = sqrt(3.1 * 9.8) = 5.501 m/s

Substituting this value into the equation for h, we get:

h = 7/4(5.501)^2 + 2(9.8)(3.1) = 8.348 m

Therefore, the height at which the disk must be released in order to just make it around the loop is 8.348 m, which is slightly lower than the height for the spherical ball.

Now, to find the ratio of the heights, we simply divide the height for the disk by the height for the sphere:

h_disk / h_sphere = 8.348 / 8.37 = 0.997

This means that the height for the disk is approximately 99.7% of the height for the sphere. In other words, the disk must be released at a slightly lower height compared to the sphere in order to make it around the loop.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work in using conservation of energy to solve problems!

1. What is the "Loop the Loop problem"?

The "Loop the Loop problem" is a physics problem that involves a roller coaster car traveling through a circular loop and the minimum velocity needed for the car to successfully complete the loop without falling off the track.

2. What factors affect the success of the "Loop the Loop"?

The success of the "Loop the Loop" depends on several factors, including the radius of the loop, the mass of the roller coaster car, and the velocity of the car at the top of the loop. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

3. How is the minimum velocity for the "Loop the Loop" calculated?

The minimum velocity for the "Loop the Loop" is calculated using the centripetal force equation, which takes into account the mass of the car, the radius of the loop, and the force of gravity. The equation can be rearranged to solve for the minimum velocity needed to complete the loop without falling off.

4. Why is it important to understand the "Loop the Loop problem"?

Understanding the "Loop the Loop problem" is important for engineers and designers of roller coasters as it helps them determine the necessary specifications for a safe and enjoyable ride. It also helps in understanding the principles of centripetal force and circular motion in physics.

5. How does the shape of the loop affect the "Loop the Loop"?

The shape of the loop can greatly affect the "Loop the Loop" problem. A circular loop is the most common shape used in roller coasters, but other shapes such as ovals or teardrops can also be used. The radius of curvature at different points along the loop can also impact the minimum velocity needed for the car to complete the loop successfully.