Solving the Physics of a Rolling Loop-the-Loop

In summary, the ball has mass of 353 grams, and must be released high above the top of the loop in order to just make it around. The total kinetic energy (translational plus rotational) at the highest point of the loop is 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2)).
TG3

Homework Statement

A small ball of radius 1.9 cm rolls without slipping down into a loop-the-loop of radius 3.7 m. The ball has mass of 353 gm.

How high above the top of the loop must it be released in order that the ball just makes it around the loop, and what is the total kinetic energy (translational plus rotational) at the highest point of the loop?

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv^2 + I W^2
K = 1/2 mv^2 (1 + I/mr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea how to attack this problem. I know that energy is conserved, but really have no idea how to go about solving this problem. Can someone give me an idea of how to start going about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic method is to realize that, at the top, the speed must be sufficient so that the force of gravity is equal to the centripetal force. Those energy formulas should give you a relationship between the height and speed so you can find the height.

Ok, so:
Force of gravity = Centripetal Force
Centripetal acceleration = Radius times Angular Velocity squared.
Angular velocity = tangential velocity divided by radius.
So: Centripetal Acceleration = R (V/R)^2
Acp= 9.81
9.81 = 3.7 (V/3.7)^2
2.65 = V^2 / 13.69
36.297 = V^2
6.024 = V

Since Vf^2 = 2gy

36.297=2(9.81 y)
18.1485 = 9.81 Y
1.85 = Y
Where did I go wrong?

The velocity calc looks good, though I think you should reduce the radius by .019 so that it is the radius of the circular path traveled by the center of mass of the ball.

The v^2 = 2gy is oversimplified - the rotational energy must also be taken into account.

So... one step closer, I hope.

MGH = 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2))
3.46 H = .1765 (36.11) (1+I/4.783)
(V and are were recalculated, per your suggestion.)
I = 7/5 MR^2
I = 7/5 .353 .019^2
I = 1.776 x 10^-4

3.46H = 6.37 (1+ 1.776 x 10^-4 / 4.783)
3.45 H = 6.37 (1.0004)
H = 1.846
No, again.
What did I do this time?

hey I am working on the same problem as you
remember: v=sqrt[g(R-r)]/2 = omega
plug this into MGH = 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2))
You can figure out the rest.
However i am stuck on (a), what is the total kinetic energy of the ball (translational plus rotational) at the top of the loop?

if you search. this question has be answered before.

The total kinetic (including rotational) energy is 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2))
where V is the speed necessary to make the centripetal force equal to the gravitational force.

I thought so. So what is wrong with:

K = 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2))
K = .1765 (36.11) (1+I/4.783)

I = 7/5 MR^2
I = 7/5 .353 .019^2
I = 1.776 x 10^-4

K = 6.37 (1+ 1.776 x 10^-4 / 4.783)
K = 6.37 (1.0004)
K = 6.37
?

K = 1/2 M V^2 (1 +(I/mr^2))
K = .1765 (36.11) (1+I/4.783)
I have been making errors in calcs lately, so please check me . . . looks like that 4.783 is wrong. I get mr^2 = .353*.019^2 = .0001274 rather than 4.783.

I checked everything and I fear I made a mistake earlier in suggesting you subtract the radius of the ball from the radius of the loop. I should have said ADDED, not subtracted. Or maybe left alone.

I get E = 15.4 using radius 3.7, velocity = 6.02.
With radius 3.7-.019, I get v = 6.04 and E is still 15.4 to 3 digit accuracy.
Don't count on my calculations!

Well, the professor told us that the computer just had the wrong answer for this problem.
Whoever was inputing the problem forgot to subtract the radius of the smaller ball from the radius of the loop. So your calculations weren't the problem, it was the computer. Thanks for your help.

1. How does the height of the loop affect the physics of a rolling loop-the-loop?

The height of the loop significantly affects the physics of a rolling loop-the-loop. The higher the loop, the more potential energy the object has at the top of the loop. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the object rolls down the loop, allowing it to successfully complete the loop-the-loop.

2. What role does inertia play in a rolling loop-the-loop?

Inertia is a crucial factor in the physics of a rolling loop-the-loop. It is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In the case of a rolling loop-the-loop, the inertia of the object helps it maintain its circular motion through the loop, preventing it from falling off the track.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its ability to complete a rolling loop-the-loop?

The mass of the object plays a significant role in its ability to complete a rolling loop-the-loop. A heavier object will have more inertia, making it more difficult to accelerate and complete the loop. On the other hand, a lighter object may not have enough inertia to maintain its circular motion through the loop and may fall off the track.

4. What is the minimum speed required for an object to complete a rolling loop-the-loop?

The minimum speed required for an object to complete a rolling loop-the-loop depends on several factors, including the height and radius of the loop, as well as the mass of the object. However, as a general rule, the minimum speed should be at least equal to the square root of the product of the gravitational acceleration and the radius of the loop.

5. How do friction and air resistance affect the physics of a rolling loop-the-loop?

Friction and air resistance can have a significant impact on the physics of a rolling loop-the-loop. Friction can slow down the object's motion, making it more difficult to maintain its circular motion through the loop. Air resistance can also slow down the object and may cause it to lose energy, making it more challenging to complete the loop. To reduce the effects of friction and air resistance, the track should be as smooth as possible and the object should be aerodynamically designed.