Loop-the-Loop: Solving for the Release Height

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, to find the minimum height above the top of the loop for a small spherical ball of radius r = 1.9 cm and mass M = 375 g to just make it around the loop of radius R = 2.6 m, one must use conservation of energy and set the kinetic energy at the top of the loop equal to the kinetic energy at the starting height (translational and rotational). This results in a minimum height of h = (5/2)R, or 5/2 times the radius of the loop. For a disk, the solution is similar but takes into account the inertia of motion. The ratio of the heights for the two cases is hdisk/hsphere =
Naeem
Loop-the-Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A small spherical ball of radius r = 1.9 cm rolls without slipping down a ramp and around a loop-the-loop of radius R = 2.6 m. The ball has mass M = 375 g.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a) How high above the top of the loop must it be released in order that the ball just makes it around the loop?
h = m
5/2*2.6 NO

HELP: Use conservation of energy. Remember that the ball has both translational and rotational kinetic energy. Since it rolls without slipping, the two are related.
HELP: What does it mean to just make it? If you have forgotten, go back and review similar loop-the-loop problems you did without the added complication of rotation. See Lecture 12 for example.

b) Repeat problem (a) for a disk. Find the ratio of the heights h for the two cases.
hdisk/hsphere =

Can somebody help here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything, do you have any ideas?
Have you done what the HELP stated? As in have you reviewed the textbooks?

Naeem said:
Loop-the-Loop

A small spherical ball of radius r = 1.9 cm rolls without slipping down a ramp and around a loop-the-loop of radius R = 2.6 m. The ball has mass M = 375 g.

a) How high above the top of the loop must it be released in order that the ball just makes it around the loop?
h = m
5/2*2.6 NO

Well in oder to be sure that you don't fall of the loop your centripetal force needs to be equal to the gravity at the top of the loop : mg = mv²/R...and R is the radius of the loop

so the velocity at the top of the loop is v²=gR

At the bottom you can apply conservation of energy :

1/2mv² =mg2R + 1/2mgR where the last term is the potential + kinetic energy at the top...

thus you have that v² = 5gR

and when you start from a height h you have that 1/2mv² = mgh or v²=2gh...

If you set equal these two last expressions for v² you get 2gh=5gR or h=5/2R

the second part is analoguous but you need to use the inertia of motion here because it is no point-particle that moves here...

regards
marlon

for a , i did : h = 5/2R which is 5/2.6 , which I don't think is correct. Am I missing something.

h = (5/2)R is correct...
this is the minimal heigth from which you should start out...

regards

I did this:

h = (5/2) which is 2.5 * R
here R = 2.6 then h would be

2.5 * 2.6 which equals 6.5, which the computer says is wrong.

don't forget rotation

marlon said:
h = (5/2)R is correct...
this is the minimal heigth from which you should start out...
This is incorrect. It would be true for a point particle, but not a rolling ball.

As you found, at the top of the motion [itex]mv^2 = mgR[/itex]; use this to find the minimum total KE at that point: translational ([itex]1/2mv^2[/itex]) plus rotational ([itex]1/2I\omega^2[/itex]).

Nitpicking a bit, but shouldn't the question state that the ball is not hollow, and that it's made from uniform material? I suppose you have to make that assumption, or you can't calculate the answer accurately?

Yes a dumb question indeed!

Nitpicking a bit, but shouldn't the question state that the ball is not hollow, and that it's made from uniform material? I suppose you have to make that assumption, or you can't calculate the answer accurately?
It should also state that the gravity is some constant otherwise you would have to go with the old [tex]G\frac{m1m2}{d^2}[/tex]
Since friction is not mentioned I'd also like the question to state the aerodynamic properties of the object that is rolling.

Sarcasm indeed, not bulletproof but I'm practicing =)

By the way I wonder, using conservation of energy one assumes there is no friction, but in order for the ball to roll there must be friction, isn't this contradictory?

Last edited:
The ball is rolling without slipping. This means the point of the ball in contact with the surface is momentarily at rest. Therefore the friction that is producing torque is static. Static friction does no work.

ceptimus said:
Good point. Since the problem explicitly considers rotational KE, it is neither a nitpick nor a dumb question.

The ball is rolling without slipping. This means the point of the ball in contact with the surface is momentarily at rest. Therefore the friction that is producing torque is static. Static friction does no work.
Cheap solution :P

Doc Al said:
This is incorrect. It would be true for a point particle, but not a rolling ball.

As you found, at the top of the motion [itex]mv^2 = mgR[/itex]; use this to find the minimum total KE at that point: translational ([itex]1/2mv^2[/itex]) plus rotational ([itex]1/2I\omega^2[/itex]).

Correct Doc Al, I gave the solution for a point particle...i did not realize it was a ball...clearly i did not read the question thouroughly... :rolleyes:

i apologize for my mistake...

regards
marlon

1. What is "Loop-the-Loop"?

Loop-the-Loop, also known as a vertical loop or loop-de-loop, is a type of roller coaster element where the track forms a complete vertical circle. It is a popular and iconic feature of many roller coasters around the world.

2. How does a "Loop-the-Loop" work?

A loop-the-loop works by using the laws of physics, specifically centripetal force, to keep the riders safely in their seats as they travel around the vertical loop. The coaster train gains enough speed at the top of the loop to overcome gravity and complete the loop without the riders falling out.

3. What is the maximum height and speed of a "Loop-the-Loop"?

The maximum height and speed of a loop-the-loop can vary depending on the design and engineering of the roller coaster. However, the average height of a loop-the-loop is around 100 feet and the average speed is around 50 miles per hour.

4. Is "Loop-the-Loop" safe?

When designed and maintained properly, loop-the-loops are generally considered safe for riders. The coaster trains are equipped with safety restraints and the track is engineered to ensure that riders stay safely in their seats throughout the loop. However, as with any amusement ride, there is always a risk of injury if safety precautions are not followed.

5. How many G-forces are experienced during a "Loop-the-Loop"?

The amount of G-forces experienced during a loop-the-loop can vary, but typically riders will experience around 3-5 Gs (or 3-5 times the force of gravity) at the bottom of the loop. This can vary depending on the design of the loop and the speed at which the coaster train is traveling.