Which Height for Rolling Object to Complete Loop the Loop?

In summary, the answer to the question of whether a rolling object should be released from a greater, lesser, or same height as a sliding object to complete a loop the loop depends on the moment of inertia of the rolling object. With conservation of energy, the equation can be formed and solved for the release height. The release height for a rolling object may be different due to the fact that less potential energy is turned into kinetic energy because of its rotational energy.
quicknote
Compared to an object that does not roll, but instead slides without friction, should a rolling object be released from the same,a greater, or a lesser height in order just barely to complete the loop the loop?

A The rolling object should be released from a greater height.
B The rolling object should be released from a lesser height.
C The rolling object should be released from exactly the same height.
D The answer depends on the moment of inertia of the rolling object.

I think the answer depends on the moment of inertia of the rolling object cause if it had a large inertia, it would be harder for it to accelerate.

Could somebody just verify my answer?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
With conservation of energy principle, form the required equation.

I don't completely understand what you're trying to say :confused:

How much of it's original potential energy does each case use to do the loop? The one that uses less need more energy you start with.

daniel_i_l said:
How much of it's original potential energy does each case use to do the loop? The one that uses less need more energy you start with.
I think this message could easily be misunderstood. No energy is actually "used", the total energy remains constant, just the form changes.To the original poster:
Well... If the object isn't rolling, what must the release height be for it to loop the loop (in terms of the loop's radius, R)? The easiest way to solve this is with the conservation of energy principle.

Now, can you form the equation for a rolling object (it's slightly different, think rotational energy) and solve for h?

Last edited:
Sorry for the poor phrasing. I meant that if the ball spins, less potential energy is turned into kinetic energy.

1. What height is needed for a rolling object to complete a loop the loop?

The height needed for a rolling object to complete a loop the loop depends on several factors such as the mass, velocity, and shape of the object. However, in general, a height of at least 5 times the diameter of the object is considered sufficient.

2. Can a rolling object complete a loop the loop at any height?

No, a rolling object cannot complete a loop the loop at any height. The height must be at least 5 times the diameter of the object in order for it to have enough potential energy to complete the loop.

3. Can the shape of the object affect the height needed to complete a loop the loop?

Yes, the shape of the object can affect the height needed to complete a loop the loop. Objects with a larger diameter or a flatter shape may require a higher height to complete the loop.

4. What happens if the height is too low for a rolling object to complete a loop the loop?

If the height is too low, the object will not have enough potential energy to complete the loop and it will fall off the track. The loop may also cause the object to slow down or lose its momentum, making it difficult to complete the loop.

5. Is the height the only factor that determines if a rolling object can complete a loop the loop?

No, the height is not the only factor that determines if a rolling object can complete a loop the loop. The mass, velocity, and shape of the object also play a significant role. Additionally, the track design and any external forces such as friction can also affect the object's ability to complete the loop.