Exploring Loop Variables: Understanding the Role of Photons in Closed Flux Loops

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of loop variables, specifically in relation to photons. The question is raised about whether a photon can be considered a line of force or flux that closes to form a loop, and it is determined that this is not the case. The conversation also mentions a news story about a "Photon Mobius Strip" but concludes that this does not mean that photons can form closed loops.
HawkI
Loop variables: A line of force or flux that is closed to form a loop.

Can a Photon be a line of force or flux that closes to form a loop?

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon is not a "line of force", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Well I guess as the Photon travels it leaves a trail, unless I've been taking the diagrams of wavelengths to literally. So would you say a Photon is instead a line of flux?

HawkI said:
Well I guess as the Photon travels it leaves a trail
It does not.
HawkI said:
unless I've been taking the diagrams of wavelengths to literally.
Yes, way to literally.
HawkI said:
So would you say a Photon is instead a line of flux?
No. A photon is not a line of anything.

Likes HawkI
So I guess that means then that Photons can not circle around and form loops. There again recently this news story came along 'Photon Mobius Strip' http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/physics/mobius-strip-made-light/

Would you say this is a closed loop?

Good to know I have been to literal with wave length diagrams :)

Edit: I genuinely just remembered this news story, I'm not trying to play ace cards up my sleeve here, I'm not trying to catch people out like a detective or lawyer.

The photons don't form a circle. The polarization as function of space can be Möbius-like.

Awesome, well thank you, my question has been answered.

1. What are closed flux loops?

Closed flux loops are circular or loop-shaped paths taken by photons, which are tiny particles of light. These loops occur when photons are confined within a closed space, such as a fiber optic cable or a laser cavity, and continuously reflect off of the boundaries.

2. How do photons contribute to closed flux loops?

Photons play a crucial role in closed flux loops by continuously bouncing off of the boundaries and maintaining a constant flux or flow of energy within the loop. This phenomenon is responsible for many applications, such as fiber optic communication and laser technology.

3. What variables affect closed flux loops?

There are several variables that can impact closed flux loops, including the size and shape of the closed space, the material and reflectivity of the boundaries, and the number and energy of the photons present within the loop. These variables can all affect the stability and efficiency of the closed flux loop.

4. How are closed flux loops used in science and technology?

Closed flux loops have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are used in fiber optic communication to transmit information through thin strands of glass, in lasers to produce intense beams of light for cutting and welding, and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.

5. What is the importance of understanding loop variables in closed flux loops?

Understanding the role of photons and other variables in closed flux loops is crucial for optimizing their efficiency and stability in various applications. It also allows for the development of new technologies and advancements in fields such as communication, medicine, and energy production.